Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    122

    Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Hi
    I launched gconf-editor and removed the "gnome-panel" from panel key. I just wanted to get rid of the bottom panel.

    However, after reboot I lost the top panel as well.
    I googled this and found out that I can create a command to launch terminal on desktop and run some commands to fix it.

    However when I create a launcher command for terminal and launch it. I get error saying :"failed to launch child process 'terminal' (no such file or directory)".

    So can't launch terminal.

    However, I do have access to nautilas as there is a drive mounted and the icon's on desktop. so I can access the file system.

    Please help me get my top panel back.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi, Pakistan
    Beans
    5,666
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Right click your desktop and create a new launcher with the command:

    Code:
    gnome-terminal
    No capital letters involved. Then double click it and run:

    Code:
    gconf-editor
    And re-enable the panels.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    new york state
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Quote Originally Posted by BHEJU View Post
    Hi
    I launched gconf-editor and removed the "gnome-panel" from panel key. I just wanted to get rid of the bottom panel.

    However, after reboot I lost the top panel as well.
    I googled this and found out that I can create a command to launch terminal on desktop and run some commands to fix it.

    However when I create a launcher command for terminal and launch it. I get error saying :"failed to launch child process 'terminal' (no such file or directory)".

    So can't launch terminal.

    However, I do have access to nautilas as there is a drive mounted and the icon's on desktop. so I can access the file system.

    Please help me get my top panel back.

    Ahh crap I hate it when things like that happen

    there are a couple of options here first we can reinstall the pannel
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    or we can try and rest it to og stause yo-yo (look I am a thug )


    Code:
    gconftool - -recursive-unset /apps/pannel && rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/pannel && pkill gnome-pannel
    hopes this helps
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    122

    Re: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Thank you Guys. Problem solved. I gave shot to "gnome-panel" instead of terminal. It worked. Back in business.

    Cheers,

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Beans
    48
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

    Re: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    Right click your desktop and create a new launcher with the command:

    Code:
    gnome-terminal
    No capital letters involved. Then double click it and run:

    Code:
    gconf-editor
    And re-enable the panels.
    But how does one re-enable the panels?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    122

    Re: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Well simple, once I was able to launch the panel once...

    I just reversed my steps which caused the panel to go away..

    What I did to cause the panel to go away :
    I launched gconf-editor and REMOVED the "gnome-panel" from panel key.

    What I did to get the panel back:
    I launched gconf-editor and ADDED the "gnome-panel" from panel key.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Beans
    48
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

    Re: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Quote Originally Posted by BHEJU View Post
    Well simple, once I was able to launch the panel once...

    I just reversed my steps which caused the panel to go away..

    What I did to cause the panel to go away :
    I launched gconf-editor and REMOVED the "gnome-panel" from panel key.

    What I did to get the panel back:
    I launched gconf-editor and ADDED the "gnome-panel" from panel key.
    What is the "panel key"? Where or how do I find it? Once I find it, how do I add the "gnome-panel"?
    I've looked through lots of "gnome" items in the gconf-editor, and I don't see anything that looks right.

    Thank you for replying.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    122

    Re: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Well.. you run goconf-editor.. it opens up GUI.. navigate to :
    /desktop/gnome/session/required_components_list/ Panel

    Panel is the key here and the value for it should be "gnome-panel".

    This worked for me because I had removed the value for the key and lost the panel. So, once I was able to run the gconf-editor.. I just added the value back.

    I am not really sure what the issue is with your system. You can try these steps.. if it does not work.. you should post the details of the issue. So, someone who knows more about this can enlighten you (and me both).

    Cheers,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Beans
    48
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

    Re: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Thank you. In my gconf-editor, in /desktop/gnome/session , there is no components list. There is a folder called "required_components" but it has only one item in it -- something called "windowmanager" .
    This leads me to think I need to re-load Natty Narwhal.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi, Pakistan
    Beans
    5,666
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu 10.10 launcher panel gone.. cant launch terminal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catlike View Post
    Thank you. In my gconf-editor, in /desktop/gnome/session , there is no components list. There is a folder called "required_components" but it has only one item in it -- something called "windowmanager" .
    This leads me to think I need to re-load Natty Narwhal.
    If you are having problems with Unity in Natty, please take a look here:

    http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/mis...-in-unity.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •