Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

Beans

Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

fyi. replace the word "user" above with your user name. mine is mister

I am encountering this today when attempting to login. Cannot access Ubuntu desktop. Running Ubuntu oneiric beta 1 32bit.
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Mate 1.12.1
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus, Mate 1.12.1
    Ubuntu. Faster, smoother, more beautiful...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

It doesn't seem to be a specific Oneiric issue, so just try this:

1. At the login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to the console.

2. Log in there.

3. Check if ".ICEauthority" is owned by you:
    Code:
    ls -al .ICEauthority
    4. If it isn't (but possibly by root), change it to you:
    Code:
    sudo chown USERNAME:USERNAME .ICEauthority
    5. Switch back to the login screen by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7 or F8

6. Try again to log in.

If it worked, see here about a possible cause:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Good luck!

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion Krytarik. Unfortunately your suggestions did not work. .ICEauthority is owned by me, the user. I even ran the chown command anyway. I even went as far as performing chown on /home/USER/.ICEauthority . Still no luck. I'll checkout the link you provided.

Beans
    Distro

Try removing ".ICEauthority". Therefore, log in at the console as before, and then run:
    Code:
    rm .ICEauthority

Beans

@ Krytarik. Well I am able to login to ubuntu now but not using Gnome. I searched ubuntuforums and saw a couple solutions that worked for others. One solution is to run sudo apt-get install gnome-session, which as I guessed, responded by saying I already have the latest version. The other solution was to run sudo apt-get install lxde. Installed, Ctrl-Alt-F7, to get back to the login screen, selected user defined session in the drop down menu, entered my password, able to now login to an LXDE session. Thought about removing gnome-session, and then re-installing. That seems a bit extreme though. Will try your suggestion of removing .ICEauthority first.

Beans

What is the consequence of removing ICEauthority? In other words, what does ICEauthority do?

Beans

@ BushyIII . Got this from http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/do...CE/ICElib.html

There are numerous possible inter-client protocols, with many similarities and common needs - authentication, version negotiation, byte order negotiation, and so on. The Inter-Client Exchange (ICE) protocol is intended to provide a framework for building such protocols, allowing them to make use of common negotiation mechanisms and to be multiplexed over a single transport connection.

Haven't found what I installed that affected ICE.

Beans
    Distro

@haddog: Yeah, I know the "install gnome-session" workaround from this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742343

But as this is basically about the Gnome 3 provided by those PPA, and there are no threads about Oneiric flooding these forums, I didn't really consider this being a first choice option. However, if you want to try this, just "reinstall" gnome-session instead:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-session
    @BushyIII: Yeah, as haddog said, so not really easy to get a grip on this. And, one can safely remove ".ICEauthority" as it will be re-created at the next login. I've successfully tested this in earlier threads. But you can also back it up before, if you want to be safe.

However, as your own issue is actually about not being able to access it in the first place, because your home directory apparently isn't decrypted at login, this isn't your solution anyway.

Beans

duplicate - removed - see next message
    Last edited by haddog; September 10th, 2011 at 08:11 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haddog View Post
    Wow.... So I am back in Gnome, able to login, but with a "very different Gnome desktop"! So after installing LXDE, I remember my login probs started a couple days ago after doing a sudo apt-get upgrade and then I did a sudo apt-get install and installed the held back packages....can't remember what they were. Hey it is a Beta right? I also recall that I had installed the open source version of M$ Silverlight, Moonlight, and I had to also install Chromium because Mozilla FF 7 wouldn't support Moonlight. So while in LXDE, I un-installed the Chromium Moonlight extension and rebooted. Could login to Gnome but there was only a menu at the top left of the desktop showing file, view, help, etc. There were no volume, battery, bluetooth user or logout/shutdown/restart indicators to the right. Unity desktop was partial, no launcher. So I went to file then open in the menu. Now I could see my home directory contents but Ubuntu Gnome desktop locked up. Did a powerdown by hold down the power button. Rebooted. This time I selected recovery console. At the recovery console menu I selected 'repair broken packages'. Package found/needing repair was Gnome-shell, I hit enter. Ubuntu dloaded the necessary file(s), installed Gnome-shell files and then sent me back to the recovery console menu where I selected normal boot. I selected my user, entered my password and selected Gnome as my session and got logged in. Very different desktop, not Ubuntu Unity.
    Fyi. I just googled Gnome 3. It appears now have the Gnome 3 desktop instead on Unity...kinda neat.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast