Thread: A server just for web browsing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

A server just for web browsing.

Hello. I'm wanting to build a server that people can log onto via RDP, VNC or any other protocol I'm not aware of and use Firefox. I have lots of thin clients and would like to create a sort of Windows Terminal Ser=ver system but with Linux, Firefox and Thunderbird. Any starters would be a great help.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: A server just for web browsing.

That wouldn't really be a server as much as a regular desktop with the package OpenSSH-server added, plus maybe a package for VNC or RDP. You'll want to tunnel VNC or RDP over SSH so your machine stays safe. Those protocols are not so secure and tunneling is a work-around to address that.

Another option is just to forward X11 from your remote machine to your local one.

Code:
    ssh -X -i /home/mrwestwood/.ssh/some_key_rsa mrwestwood@server.example.org firefox
    That is the simplest to set up but can be annoying if there is a lot of latency in the connection. Whether you tunnel VNC, RDP or just X11 be sure to use keys for authentication.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

If you are looking for a Terminal Server solution you should check out LTSP. It is installable from the 12.04 alternative install disk (change the mode with F4 on initial install) and it will provide a netbooting thin client environment. LTSP has their own support forums and plenty of people who can help you.

Beans

That sounds like something you could use freenx for.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX

What are your "thin clients" ?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Thin clients

Disregard my above comment about tunnelling. I missed that you wanted to set up thin cients.

To do thin clients, you should read up on Edubuntu, LTSP, Skolelinux, or K12LTSP. Any of those will set up servers where applications are run, but the display occurs on the thin client. However, usually you have two servers per location just in case one goes down. Also, these days, gigabit ethernet is recommended. You can do it with less though. If you have only one server, then that's how it is.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys. So far we have a live disc that we have stripped down to just run Firefox and Thunderbird. I want to ideally allow as many users as possible at the same time as to log on via either RDP or VNC primarily. THe sticking thing is we have some thin clients that run rdp so we could change where they remote to. That's why I was wondering if it's possible to do it with VNC or rdp. LTSP is great but lately the IT department seem to just use those AXEL rpd/vnc machines as they're cheap and really all they need as users just RDP on to Windows server. I sort of want to replicate a windows server machine I guess. And have my clients log in to that via rdp or vnc.

Sorry for repeating myself.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    That wouldn't really be a server as much as a regular desktop with the package OpenSSH-server added, plus maybe a package for VNC or RDP. You'll want to tunnel VNC or RDP over SSH so your machine stays safe. Those protocols are not so secure and tunneling is a work-around to address that.

Another option is just to forward X11 from your remote machine to your local one.

Code:
    ssh -X -i /home/mrwestwood/.ssh/some_key_rsa mrwestwood@server.example.org firefox
    That is the simplest to set up but can be annoying if there is a lot of latency in the connection. Whether you tunnel VNC, RDP or just X11 be sure to use keys for authentication.
    Though this wouldn't help in my case. I do use tunneling from home to work. It's great what you can do with ssh -X
    Last edited by MrWestwood; October 31st, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by merlyn2748 View Post
    If you are looking for a Terminal Server solution you should check out LTSP. It is installable from the 12.04 alternative install disk (change the mode with F4 on initial install) and it will provide a netbooting thin client environment. LTSP has their own support forums and plenty of people who can help you.

Will this act as the "Windows server" side. I apologise for the simple terminology but's that all I have to compare it to. Or will it just do as ltsp does and require pxe boot?
    Last edited by MrWestwood; October 31st, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dozynsleepy View Post
    That sounds like something you could use freenx for.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX

What are your "thin clients" ?
    For this we will be using those AXEL rdp/vnc boxes.
    Last edited by MrWestwood; October 31st, 2013 at 10:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I believe it's xrdp I need.

Many thanks foryour help.