Thread: How to get the latest stable SeaMonkey for x86-64?

Beans

Question How to get the latest stable SeaMonkey for x86-64?

I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 and would like to install the latest stable release of SeaMonkey. I could compile everything myself but would prefer something prepackaged if possible.

Does anyone know if any Ubuntu packages exist?

The closest thing I found was mention on the Ubuntuzilla wiki that "The best alternative for Thunderbird and Seamonkey is probably using the latest trunk builds from the Ubuntu Mozilla Daily PPA, which includes 64 bit builds." However, this is for daily builds, and besides which, despite what the wiki claims, there don't seem to be any SeaMonkey builds on that page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How to get the latest stable SeaMonkey for x86-64?

ubuntuzilla doesn't (yet) have any 64bit builds. so your best bet may be to just grab the distribution from the seamonkey project site.

Beans

Frettchen II: What did you end up doing?

I too, want the latest Seamonkey, so I was able to run 2.4.1 build from /opt/ but can not get SeaMonkey to pick up my Flash (or any) plug-in settings. I tried moving it over the top over 2.0.11 build that 10.04 installs from apt, but it breaks the plug-ins. I was wondering if you had any success.

Beans

kernel2korn, I just did as nanotube suggested and downloaded the source from ftp.mozilla.org and compiled it from source using the Simple SeaMonkey build instructions. My .mozconfig file is as follows; you may need to adjust the value of the -j flag to suit your number of processors:
    Code:
    ac_add_options --enable-application=suite
    mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/objdir-sm-release
    mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j6"
    ac_add_options --libdir=/usr/local/lib64
    ac_add_options --disable-libjpeg-turbo
    ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
    I used /usr/local/lib64 because that's where openSUSE puts its 64-bit binaries; I'm not sure what the convention is on Ubuntu. Anyway, then I just compiled and installed it as follows:
    Code:
    $ make -f client.mk
    $ sudo make -f client.mk install
    SeaMonkey installed to /usr/local/lib64/seamonkey-2.4 with a link to the binary from /usr/local/bin, and when I run that I still have all my plugins and extensions. I didn't uninstall the old SeaMonkey from the Ubuntu repositories, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Beans

I've just noticed that there's an unofficial 64-bit build available on the official SeaMonkey Download & Releases site. I haven't tried it myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

FYI, ubuntuzilla now includes 64bit seamonkey builds (and firefox and thunderbird too, of course).