Thread: Font path disappears on restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Font path disappears on restart

I am running Ubuntu 11.04 on my desktop computer. I can use Mathematica on the school network if I ssh -X into the school network. However, in order to get Mathematica to run correctly on my computer, I need to add the mathematica fonts.

I saved the fonts to a folder in my home directory. In order to add the fonts to my X server I run
    Code:

xset fp+ /home/peterson/MathematicaFonts/Type1/,/home/peterson/MathematicaFonts/BDF/
    If I then type
    Code:
    xset q
    I see that these font paths have been correctly added, and when I try to run Mathematica through ssh -X things work fine.

However, if I turn off my computer, when I re-start it I can no longer run mathematica through ssh -X, and if I check my font paths using 'xset q' I no longer see the Mathematica fonts listed. How can I get the Mathematica font paths added to my X server on a permanent basis so that I don't have to add them again every time I restart my computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Font path disappears on restart

You may have to copy them into /user/share/fonts either that or update the font cache by running:

Code:
    sudo fc-cache -f -v
    Or both..
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmapond View Post
    You may have to copy them into /user/share/fonts either that or update the font cache by running:

Code:
    sudo fc-cache -f -v
    Or both..
    I tried all combinations of the above and it didn't work. First I just updated the font cache. Then I just moved the MathematicaFonts folder to the /usr/share/fonts/ folder, and then I did both. Every time when I re-started the computer the MathematicaFonts don't appear when I run 'xset q'.

Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just noticed that the font paths also disappear when I log out, not just when I turn the computer off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've created a temporary fix to the problem. I created a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+f) that runs the xset fp+ command that sets the Mathematica font paths. This is a nice quick way to add the font paths, but I still would like to figure out why the font paths disappear when I log out.