Thread: Two drives-both have different partition info?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Two Ubuntu versions have different gparted info for the same drive?

I have a dual boot system...
    1. Ide hard drive with WinXP
    2. SATA hard drive with swap, an extended partition containing Karmic and Natty.
    Windows drive has it's own MBR bootloader. Ubuntu drive has grub2 installed in it's MBR. The bios is set to boot cdrom first, SATA second, and the Win drive last. All drives/partitions boot.
    I recently noticed a blurb flash by while booting Natty that said that it was unable to mount the swap partition. It would do this on an irregular basis. After multiple edits of fstab and initramfs-tools' conf.d; updating same; purging and reinstalling grub2; deleting/re-making the swap partition swap finally has been auto-mounted on a regular basis (for the last two days).
    What bugs me is that Karmic and Natty STILL show different partition info (both on the same drive). Is there a known bug with grub/upstart/mountall etc. that causes this? I have attached two screenshots to help whoever has an idea about what's going on.
    BTW, boot-info-script's Results.txt shows the same goofy info when run on Natty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shazaam; September 23rd, 2011 at 03:55 AM. Reason: clarification/change of title
    Old As Dust.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Two drives-both have different partition info?

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    What bugs me is that Karmic and Natty STILL show different partition info.
    You are booting two different OSs (separated by years) that are showing exactly what each different OS is supposed to.

Things change over time, you know?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    I have a dual boot system...
    1. Ide hard drive with WinXP
    2. SATA hard drive with swap, an extended partition containing Karmic and Natty.
    Windows drive has it's own MBR bootloader. Ubuntu drive has grub2 installed in it's MBR. The bios is set to boot cdrom first, SATA second, and the Win drive last. All drives/partitions boot.
    I recently noticed a blurb flash by while booting Natty that said that it was unable to mount the swap partition. It would do this on an irregular basis. After multiple edits of fstab and initramfs-tools' conf.d; updating same; purging and reinstalling grub2; deleting/re-making the swap partition swap finally has been auto-mounted on a regular basis (for the last two days).
    What bugs me is that Karmic and Natty STILL show different partition info. Is there a known bug with grub/upstart/mountall etc. that causes this? I have attached two screenshots to help whoever has an idea about what's going on.
    BTW, boot-info-script's Results.txt shows the same goofy info when run on Natty.
    did you install karmic before windows?

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

They look pretty much the same to me, apart from the 1MB of unallocated space, which is most likely related to alignment of partitions to cylinder/block boundaries and isn't really relevant.

The different OS versions seem to assign different device names to the drives, which is quite normal on certain hardware, the names are assigned based on the order the devices are recognized, and some computers & BIOS versions can detect devices in different order on each boot. I suppose this might have been the reason for your swap problems, especially if you at any point had defined your swap in /etc/fstab using the device name. And this is pretty much the reason why it's recommended to use the UUID instead of device name.

Beans
    Distro

What I was getting at was the fact that Karmic shows the Ubuntu drive as sdb while Natty shows it as sda.

mcduck...
    Code:
    can detect devices in different order on each boot
    I had a hunch about the bios doing that but Natty was the first version of Ubuntu that I have installed that ended up this way. Weird.
    Ok, so it's normal so I will mark the thread as solved. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Old As Dust.

Beans
    Distro

Update...
    Wiped Karmic and installed Lucid in its place. Lucid is controlling grub. So far all is good.
    (hmm, edited the thread title but it didn't stick)
    Old As Dust.