Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No KDE 4.7.1 on Kubuntu backports for natty?

Beans

Re: Not so impressed

Thanks Sumski.
    Jim.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@sumski: Awesome! Thanks for letting us know!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    The fact that your upgrading is probably a large component of why you're system breaks. For one thing, updates usually break things, especially when there is a large structural change within the system (11.10 will be one of these releases I believe). Another thing is that if you've upgraded every time since Edgy, you probably have a ton of excess configuration files, etc. That clogs up a system fast. Go for a clean install. And if you're really looking for stability, stay with LTS versions. Or Debian Stable which is really, well, stable. And it's rolling release, which removes a lot of the upgrade problems (I personally wouldn't be unhappy if Ubuntu moved to this).
    @dniMretsaM:

I guess I wasn't very accurate in my description. I completely agree with you that upgrades are questionable. And that's why I never do them. So when I said "upgrading" I actually meant doing a clean install of the latest OS (I have scripts to install all the packages I want and to do some of my preferred settings, which saves a lot of time). Still, there are always lots of little details and quirks which need to be figured out individually in each version of kubuntu...

And yes, I actually installed the lucid LTS and planned on keeping it (I had actually skipped Maverick). Now, it's just started to be a bit dated. I am actually not so much after the OS updates, for me it matters more to have more recent versions of the apps.

I also recently tried to install Debian, but I found it was much less straightforward to get it working. I don't remember exactly what it was, but there were some problems, and altogether, it didn't look like it could be made to "just work" with a few little tricks...

Beans
    Distro

4.7.1 is here!

All:

I just did an "dist-upgrade" on my machine and found that 4.7.1 is now in the repo! Awesome! Thanks to all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12