Thread: Regression analysis?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Regression analysis?

I changed to Libre Office a little while ago and I have a question about Calc.

I am a college senior and several times, I'm to do a regression analysis on data collected.
    Since I've used Libre Office, however, I have no idea how to do that. I've looked it up on the "Help" page it provides, but it isn't very specific. Maybe I'm not looking right.

The question I want to ask is this; Is there a way I can get a neat little "Summary Output" like I did in Excel here on Calc? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Beans

Re: Regression analysis?

Quote Originally Posted by Tacowingnut View Post
    I changed to Libre Office a little while ago and I have a question about Calc.

I am a college senior and several times, I'm to do a regression analysis on data collected.
    Since I've used Libre Office, however, I have no idea how to do that. I've looked it up on the "Help" page it provides, but it isn't very specific. Maybe I'm not looking right.

The question I want to ask is this; Is there a way I can get a neat little "Summary Output" like I did in Excel here on Calc? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

3 part tutorial here http://www.openofficetips.com/blog/a...sion_anal.html

it is for openoffice calc, but they both work pretty much the same, they recently forked thats all
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It might also be worth having a look at gnumeric. Open it up, go to Tools ->Statistical analysis ->Regression and see what that offers. You may also need gnumeric-plugins-extra but I'm not sure.

Beans

i don't know about libre office, and i'm not going to google search it for you, but off the top of my head i know that R is something you could use. you could use libre office calc to export your data to tab separated variables (TSV format), load the data to R, then run whatever command outputs regression.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    It might also be worth having a look at gnumeric. Open it up, go to Tools ->Statistical analysis ->Regression and see what that offers. You may also need gnumeric-plugins-extra but I'm not sure.
    YES!
    Thank you! With Gnumeric, I can pull out what I need no problem!

Beans

YES!
    cool, remember to use thread tools to mark as solved so it helps others searching for solutions.

cheers
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

YES!
    I've been monitoring this thread hoping someone could provide an answer. I have booted Windows to do regression analysis in excel. The Gnumeric output is similar to what I am accustom to in excel.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

I've resuscitated this thread because it was the first one I came across when trying to figure out how to run regressions in LibreOffice. It looks like the answer is that you cannot. However I thought I should mention two useful programs from the GNU project:

gretl - an extremely powerful econometrics package
    gretl includes algorithms to estimate a wide variety of models besides simple ordinary least squares like logit and probit, simultaneous equations estimation with instrumental variables, nonlinear least squares, and other maximum-likelihood methods.

pspp - an open-source clone of the popular statistical package SPSS
    pspp will read and write SPSS system files and adds a wide variety of other univariate and multivariate methods like crosstabulation, ANOVA, and the like.

Both these programs are available from the repositories.