Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wireless causes system freeze: Atheros AR9285, Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, Acer Aspire 5250

Beans

Re: Wireless causes system freeze: Atheros AR9285, Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, Acer Aspire

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, yes that can be a problem is it your wireless card that does not wake up or your computer, also if I have been helpful would you consider showing your support for me becoming an ubuntu member by clicking on the red link in my signature?
    Thank you
    Sure, ... I'm not familiar with the process. Is just clicking sufficient, or something more to be done?
    Back to Wireless issue - I guess there must be another issue with the adapter. If I'm very close to the router, it seams to be working fine. If I go to another room, it randomly disconnects or the network is extremely slow. At the same time, the signal strength is good, e.g. >85% and all other devices are working there fine.... very strange.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wireless causes system freeze: Atheros AR9285, Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, Acer Aspire

Hi hofik, try what I posted in post 30, I recently learned that your card has issue like that so I am not sure we can do anything about it but if post30 does not help, I will do some more research.

When you click on the red link in my signature you just need to say you support my membership, you will see the things every one else has said as well.
    Thank you

Beans

Folks, I believe I finally resolved almost all the major issues with Acer Aspire 5250.

I should have paid a little bit more info to every little details of the info posted in this thread. Major things I fixed recently on my Acer:
    1. Wireless causes system freeze: The suggestion here of putting "boot from network" instead of booting from HDD helps... but once I upgraded bios from v1.01 to v1.05 it started to work irrespectively of booting options
    2. Wireless performance was terrible. It worked reliably only when the PC was next to the wifi router. After upgrading bios to v1.05 it seams to be working ok
    3. I initially overlooked a suggestion of moving to the community video driver instead of using fglrx. Once I moved back to the community driver, sleep function started to work fine.
    4. I found other suggestions very helpful, e.g. num lock indicator, Jupiter power schemes, etc.
    5. The only issue that still bothers me a little is HDD clicking noise appearing every 7 seconds or so, when operating on battery. I found some articles on this suggesting that the noise is coming from HDD heads being parked... but didn't have time to focus properly on that. I'll need to spend more time on that - but it's not that huge priority compared to fixing wifi performance or sleep mode.

I'd like to say big THANKS esp. to wildmanne39 for spending time on this with me. (I hope I supported your membership in the correct way. Pls. shout if I could help more.) Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Hi hofik, your welcome! I am glad you have had such success getting your wireless working properly.

Beans

I'm sorry, a step back again. Wifi making it freezing again, I had to change booting sequence again. Also working with that a little bit more, wifi performance isn't ideal, I've got it disconnected yesterday multiple times again... it's certainly better than before, but far from being good.

Beans
    Distro

Hi hofik, please post the results of these commands, run them after you have been disconnected before you reconnect.
    Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release; uname -a
    Code:
    nm-tool
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    Code:
    iwconfig
    Code:
    rfkill list all
    Code:
    sudo iwlist scan
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ath
    Code:
    dmesg | egrep 'ath|firm|wlan0'
    by clicking on new reply and click # and paste the information between the brackets.
    Thank you

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234