Thread: Windows strikes again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Talking Windows strikes again!

So, I bought a new desktop with Windows 7 64-bit installed. I kept a 350GB partition for gaming and left the rest for Ubuntu.

I recently bought a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex USB 3 external drive, and an Asus USB3 PCIE adapter for it. Ubuntu immediately saw the adapter and I am able to use the drive with NO problems in Linux.

Windows 7 saw the adapter and installed a driver for it. So far, so good. I installed Norton (free from my ISP) and did a backup. So far, so good.

Now Windows doesn't even acknowledge that the drive exists. Norton is p*ssed that it can't update the backup. I have reinstalled the driver more than once.

And people tell me that Linux has problems.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Windows strikes again!

heh norton... it has it's own share of problems. obviously it made some mess. though i wonder what.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In the old days (read Windows 95) Norton was a good tool to use. Now, it become a hugh giant fossile. Stuck in old habits, to heavy, memory consuming, too much of everything. On some Dutch Windows forums the most topics about Norton contains.... problems with Norton.... If you want to do a backup of your (Windows) system, there are better alternatives for Norton.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

a happy user of Acronis true image for many years I bought a new version when I got a new computer. like the OP I left a 250 Gb partition for 7 and installed Ubuntu to the next new one.

trying to mount an image of my old computer's Hdd in the third partition I had permission problems. the Acronis customer service suggested a new back up of the old computer with out a password.
    that worked.

the old computer now runs Ubuntu only

lots of other win transition trouble posted elsewhere
    with how easy Ubuntu is by comparison.
    OS upgrade with no hardware upgrade: $0.
    having a smooth first install: ....priceless.

Beans

Haha, I just use Microsoft Security Essentials. Works perfect for me.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    So, I bought a new desktop with Windows 7 64-bit installed. I kept a 350GB partition for gaming and left the rest for Ubuntu.

I recently bought a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex USB 3 external drive, and an Asus USB3 PCIE adapter for it. Ubuntu immediately saw the adapter and I am able to use the drive with NO problems in Linux.

Windows 7 saw the adapter and installed a driver for it. So far, so good. I installed Norton (free from my ISP) and did a backup. So far, so good.

Now Windows doesn't even acknowledge that the drive exists. Norton is p*ssed that it can't update the backup. I have reinstalled the driver more than once.

And people tell me that Linux has problems.
    That wasn't Windows. That was Norton and user error.
    "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer