Thread: Share lightning calendar on home network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Share lightning calendar on home network

I have two home machines both running Natty. Each have Thunderbird and Lightning. I would like to use the lightning calendar for one of the machines for both, with both able to update the single calendar and receive the same notifications.

If I go to from Thunderbird if I go EDIT / CALENDAR PROPERTIES I see Calendar name HOME and Location moz-storage-calendar://

I think on the one machine I can set a new calendar name "REMOTE" and the location of my other machines calendar. But I have no idea what that should be. I have tried a few things. I have found examples for accessing calendars on web sites, but not another Ubuntu machine on the same home network.

Any ideas?
    Natty 11.04 (Ubuntu Classic) installed dual boot on HP DV6646US laptop. Nvidia 7150M, Broadcom 4321AG. - Natty 11.04, dual boot on home built desktop, 2 gb memory, AMD Athlon 3000+ Gnucash Gramps Thunderbird /Lightning Skype K3b Chromium -

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Share lightning calendar on home network

Hi,

I believe the simpliest answer is that you need some other software (or website like google calender) in order to share the calendar, see:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.html#share

There is another section in that FAQ:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/cale...local_calendar

This describes sharing a calendar between different software on the same machine but it was only intended for viewing. So even if you could take this route and mount a samba share on the other machine where the calendar is, you would probably run into data loss issues as described in the FAQ.

Beans
    Distro

I'd be happy if I could just update from one but be able to share the view. But no where tells me how to define to point to the other calendar. The location for the calendar on each machine is "moz-storage-calendar://"

I attempt to create a new calendar and select "On the network"

Next it ask if ICS, CALDAV, WCAP or Google calendar. I'm not sure it is any of these. I think the calendar is in .thunderbird/calendar-data/local.sqlite . But somehow as a local calendar it is found by "moz-storage-calendar://" I have tried searching for this defined location and it doesn't exist.

I have tried using the definition for SSH to access the other computer, "sftp://loveafair65@192.168.1.101/moz-storage-calendar://" And it is not rejected as an invalid address, but still can't find the calendar on the other machine.

It seems strange I can find information on accessing a calendar on Google but not on another Ubuntu machine in my home network. What format do I need to access the calendar on my other machine?
    Natty 11.04 (Ubuntu Classic) installed dual boot on HP DV6646US laptop. Nvidia 7150M, Broadcom 4321AG. - Natty 11.04, dual boot on home built desktop, 2 gb memory, AMD Athlon 3000+ Gnucash Gramps Thunderbird /Lightning Skype K3b Chromium -

Beans
    Distro

I just reread the links I was referred to by Azdour. I missed entirely what they said. Thankyou for you post. Looks like I can't get from here to where I want to be easily. I will close this for now, and do some more research as to which way I want to go from here.

Beans

If I go to from Thunderbird if I go EDIT / CALENDAR PROPERTIES I see Calendar name HOME and Location moz-storage-calendar://
    Hi, I was looking for same issue and found that for Location you must enter "file:///server-name\folder-name\file-name.ics". For me it worked, although I'm running Windows on both systems. I will try this with my Linux system home, see if it works, but I don't think there will be any issues.