Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water as an alternative fuel source

Beans

Water as an alternative fuel source

It works by combining H2O with electricity to form HHO gas. And after it burns it turns right back into water so you won't be wasting Earths most precious resource when you take your car out for a spin.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CMovXzVOzc4
    Last edited by BWF89; May 29th, 2006 at 12:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Water as an alternative fuel source

I saw it a few days ago and found it quite amusing.

Beans

Burning oil is madness, agreed. It can be used to produce millions of wonderful products. And once you burn it, it'll never be replaced. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...lysis_of_water

Beans

However, watir isn't used as a source, it's just a temporary energy container, you would still need the electricity from somewhere...
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Exactly. The problem is you spend electric energy (high quality) to create a fuel (hydrogen) which when burnt releases heat energy (low quality). The effect must be considerable less than 100% too. It is better to just use that electricity to charge batteries.

Beans

Yeah this isn't an energy source. But you can fill up the car's tank with this gas in a minute while it takes a lot longer to charge batteries and a gas tank is also cheaper then a huge battery. So perhaps this is a better way to store energy then batteries. The big question is a tank full of this gas or a battery of the same size, which one would keep a car going the longest?
    Last edited by Kvark; May 29th, 2006 at 01:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

What makes this interesting is that for the first time... a revolutionary method of getting energy isn't bought, tucked away for safe storage until it's forgotten.

The U.S patent service got alot of those ... :/ Especially from the power companys. There have been other methods earlier that uses water as a power source.. but as said, they got "lost".

Lets see how fast they can turn this into something global.. and ditch the middle east

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark
    The big question is a tank full of this gas or a battery of the same size, which one would keep a car going the longest?
    I'll bet that if you'd store it as compressed gas (which you really don't want to do) it will keep going longer than on a battery. However I'd like to see the structure formula of this HHO gas that supposedly is 'more stable' that a mixture of H2 and O2. I think it's a hoax.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by halfvolle melk
    I think it's a hoax.
    Hmmm.. maybe you should google around for a bit first before stating it as a hoax

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Bd0g
    Hmmm.. maybe you should google around for a bit first before stating it as a hoax
    Nah, I'd rather rely on what I learned in chemistry class than on scetchy articles like these.
    It would be excelent though, as it can't be used for something as malicious as weapons. Something that burns anything but flesh! On the other hand, you can't power your barbeque with it either.

Edit: Or am I missing that it aired on april th first or something?
    Last edited by halfvolle melk; May 29th, 2006 at 01:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast