Thread: Creating a script to control the speed fan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Creating a script to control the speed fan

Hello,

So yes, I am aware of lm-sensors and fancontrol but honestly, it's really hard to deal with for a newbie like me and the dedicated threads are more filled with people exposing their issues than people helping out. No offense, of course...

Now, if I understand correctly, fancontrol allows to set values at which the fan(s) will start/stop spinning. That's not exactly what I need.
    By default, Ubuntu handles my CPU fan pretty well, better than Windows as it will slow down after spinning up while Windows will keep it spinning at full speed. However, I miss Speedfan which allows me to control the fan speed live, as my fan is pretty loud from the get go. Pushing up to spin faster, down to spin slower. Can't be more easy.

How do I achieve a script on Ubuntu that will interact with my loud fan the same way ? Something I would execute to speed it up or slow it down, or assign a value that will be applied immediately.

Thank you in advance !
    Last edited by DannyBiker; September 11th, 2011 at 10:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Creating a script to control the speed fan

No idea ? I've asking this for ages (like at least two years back) on several Ubuntu communities and never got an answer. At all.

This just prevents me to be a definitive Ubuntu user. I always go back to Windows because of that. I'd love to stay on Ubuntu but I need that fan to "shut up" for that...