Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: noooo broke laptop....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: noooo broke laptop....

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Glad to hear it.

Personally, I think additional hardware insurance is a rip off. Home contents cover, or even Credit card benefits can cover you, and cost nothing much extra.
    Basically, ALL insurance is a rip-off, when you get right down to it...I know because, in my earlier days, I was an Insurance Underwriter.

But, these "additional coverage" packages come in handy in situations just like this. Why? Because, from experience, I know that the equipment warranty is going to exclude any damage caused by personal negligence -- which is clearly the case here.

You forget that the the willingness to honor any warranty rests solely with the seller, not the buyer. So, even if the OP bought this at a computer store that does service equipment, when they open it up and discover beverage residue inside it, they are very likley to DENY and warranty coverage claim.

Case in point, this year alone, I've seen the FREE replacement of as high-end laptop and two smart phones due to accidents by the owners -- and reading the original warranties, in NONE of these cases would the equipment have been covered.

Next time you buy a piece of electronic equipment, look closely at the warranty. All to often they limit coverage to "manufacturer's defects" -- which does NOT cover breakage.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: noooo broke laptop....

Yup, I've never once been tempted to take one out.

Contents insurance for the home (which just about everyone have) will often cover accidental damage. As someone with real insurance experience, you know far more about that than me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12