Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One has lost out to Dropbox

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu One has lost out to Dropbox

If you're using a "cloud computing"/"cloud storage" service, you're the only one who's lost out. Richard Stallman was right when he called the cloud "careless computing". If you do it, it means you don't care about who gets to see what you're doing, who owns the software you're running, and who controls the hardware you're running it on. The cloud is surely an abomination unto the Free Software community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    If you're using a "cloud computing"/"cloud storage" service, you're the only one who's lost out. Richard Stallman was right when he called the cloud "careless computing". If you do it, it means you don't care about who gets to see what you're doing, who owns the software you're running, and who controls the hardware you're running it on. The cloud is surely an abomination unto the Free Software community.
    Unfortunately for Stallman cloud computing is the future. Privacy of user data needs to be dealt with on the legislative level.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

I've tried both Dropbox and U1 (inc the Windows client) and just found U1 way too slow. There's only a small amount of stuff I need on multiple boxes so I'm sticking with Dropbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    The cloud is good if used wisely. Just upload things you don't mind others possibly seeing, and things you wouldn't worry about losing access to (like have other backups).

Or possibly encrypt things before uploading if you really worry. And it goes without saying you should have a strong password that you don't use for other things.

I compare it to carrying around a USB memory stick or floppy disc. You could lose it. I've had a USB memory stick stolen from me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Alwimo View Post
    I compare it to carrying around a USB memory stick or floppy disc. You could lose it. I've had a USB memory stick stolen from me.
    I hope the USB stick had a particularly nasty piece of Windows malware on it .

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I prefer Dropbox over U1, mainly because their multi-client support, speed and ease of use. And the option to share documents with others.

Although I'm rather naive enough to believe nobody is interested in my information, I do encrypt all sensitive info I store on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dropbox works on other Linux platforms and Windows and Mac, Dropbox also syncs faster in my experience, and with only a little work I'm up to 3GB of space. Sure it isn't 5GB that U1 gives, but I don't store that much data.

Then there is Amazon's Cloud service. Like U1 media purchased from Amazon has no factor against space. And I got 20GB for free for the year by being a Prime member. Sure it is only web based but it works pretty well. Will probably be great with Amazon's upcoming tablet.

I still have my U1 account and plan to keep it. It does have some upsides if used with Ubuntu like contact and note storage. But because it isn't available on other distros (which I think is a sin) I can't use it directly.

Beans
    Hidden!

I never bothered with U1 due to needing to sync with windows /other linux machines and now I do not use ubuntu anymore so I'm not too pushed about it. It is a shame about other distro support however ..I'm sure there would be a lot who would avail of it. My main gripe with dropbox (as a recent konvert) is its kde integration , it works but it could be better.
    What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    ... Sure it isn't 5GB that U1 gives, but I don't store that much data.
    Funny thing is that the registration button of Oneiric Ubuntu One client shows 2G of free space.

Beans

Recently switched from dropbox to U1. It was a combination of the 5gb allowance and the excellent android app that convinced me to switch.
    For high-res minimalist and abstract wallpapers check out my Deviantart profile - http://hyperdude111.deviantart.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast