Thread: Thin and Light Laptop-Purchase Suggestions?

Beans

Thin and Light Laptop-Purchase Suggestions?

So I have been running Ubuntu on a few older machines and I really like it (10.4 and 11.4 both) and the concept of Open Source (huge Moodle fan). So I was looking at system76 and Zareason, but frankly my wife has an MacBook Air and I love how light and portable it is (while still having some decent power). So I am wondering, do folks have any recommendations for a light (4ish lb or less laptop) thin (1"ish) laptopn that has a decent CPU?
    Considering a MacBookAir so obviously I am prepared to pay a bit extra for thin and light. Thanks for any info, opinions, and experience

Beans

Re: Thin and Light Laptop-Purchase Suggestions?

I have a 13.3" Toshiba T235D that works outstandingly well. It's light, thin, and runs well on Ubuntu (Toshiba computers do have hiccups with Linux, but usually nothing unfixable, and it seems they're improving).

Toshiba computers don't have the best support for Linux, but they're quiet, thin, and powerful. You can get a good one from $450 - $500 dollars. I've used $300 Toshibas that run fluidly, as well. They're definitely worth looking at.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dont go with system76 my battery died in 6 months and my harddrive died 1month later. Overpriced it is better to build your own and install ubuntu yourself. Be forewarned that Ubuntu has been left in the dust by the other OS out there. They failed to keep up at a critical time. Buy a chromebook and wait for gdocs to catch up . Its only a matter of time linux desktop is dead on the operating table.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by imercury View Post
    Dont go with system76 my battery died in 6 months and my harddrive died 1month later. Overpriced it is better to build your own and install ubuntu yourself. Be forewarned that Ubuntu has been left in the dust by the other OS out there. They failed to keep up at a critical time. Buy a chromebook and wait for gdocs to catch up . Its only a matter of time linux desktop is dead on the operating table.

that made no sense...

anw back to the topic... i woulds recomend the asus u46sv

i strongly recomend it!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One of the problems with ubuntu users is that they dont accept criticism ,but they accept failure rate. Look at the original post. And then reread my reply. The dude has money for a mac he wont be happy with linux. The main reason for using ubuntu OS is its cheaper. At least tell people the truth.
    Change is good. Accepting change means accepting what you are doing is not good.!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pierreyy View Post
    that made no sense...

i strongly recomend it!!
    I wonder if anyone has U46sv with Ubuntu and can share their experiences.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Like IWantFroyo, I have a Toshiba laptop, a Satellite R835. I had initial problems with wireless, but a new ATH9K driver was released recently which fixed all the new Atheros wireless chip sets. Temporarily I just used a usb wifi dongle.

I too considered a Mac Airbook (the top spec Tosh is almost as expensive) but I like Linux better.

It is much easier to get apps etc if you need to do something not covered in your current setup.

If you do any web/server work and the server is Linux, then you can run a very solid test environment on your laptop a full LAMP stack and more.

You can dual boot with Windows, so if you have to use Windows apps or formats for more complex documents etc, you can, all on the same machine.

On this machine I left the pre-installed Windows and just installed Ubuntu 11.04 alongside. It works extremely well.
    Last edited by airper; October 16th, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
    How about a nice cup of tea

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pierreyy View Post
    that made no sense...

i strongly recomend it!!
    do you actually own it?
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10