Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestion for a Smartphone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suggestion for a Smartphone

I would go with the Samsung Continuum from Wally World (Wal-Mart). Just last week they had them on sale (through Verizon) for around $25 with a 2 year contract. I have one of these myself. The only drawback is that it comes with 2.1 (Eclair) and no official update is in the pipes at the moment. An unofficial upgrade to 2.2 (Froyo) is out in the wild (which is what my phone is running at the moment) if you don't mind a little work on your part. That being said, this is the best phone for the money at the moment, IMHO.
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

An important consideration: What's your budget?

HTC seems to be a favorite among Android users, but I personally cannot stand their Sense UI. I absolutely love Samsung's high-end phones for their Super AMOLED(+) screens and unobtrusive (albeit ugly) TouchWiz UI. Some Verizon phones replace Google with Bing. Something to consider if that's a turn-off for you.

As far as "Ubuntu compatibility" goes, Android phones do not require a computer for syncing, downloading applications, or music. Of course, you can drag music files to a microSD card (or use a web interface like AwesomeDrop), install applications through market.android.com, or even sideload applications using a computer - but everything can be done on the phone independent of a computer. If you wait a month or so, the upcoming version of iOS will enable iPhones and iPads to be independent from computers as well.

Good luck on your search. My first smartphone was an incredible game-changer for me, comparable to my first computer.
    Last edited by LMP900; September 7th, 2011 at 04:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

if OP hasn't already bought into an OS, i'd highly suggest WP7. inb4 butthurt linux users. it's an amazing platform, the specs are very strict unlike android, so you can't get stuck with an under performing handset, the app library is closed to an extreme, so you don't have any memory leaks due to poorly coded programs, and the music player is top-tier.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu27 View Post
    Hello fellow Ubunteros and Linux users.

My cellphone just died and I am planing to replace it with a smartphone.
    What do you think it is the best smartphone? I am inclined to have one with Android...

But which one is better? (And how is the compatibility with Linux?)

Thank you all for posting your suggestions and experiences.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am a Verizon customer in the US. (It seems that it makes a difference?)
    Sorry, it seems like such a simple question, but it's actually quite complicated. All of the manufacturer's put a great deal of time and money into developing there devices. My suggestion is this; start with your service provider. Are you under contract? Figure out which provider has the service plans and coverage that suits your needs the best. Be sure to consider family and friends when making this decision. The service provider is the most important choice because they control the network, and in many cases, the functionality of the phone.

With very few exceptions all the availible platforms provide equivilent functionality at the basic level. They will all place and recieve phone calls. Most will take pictures, play music files, movies, etc. The difference is in the details. Be sure to research the phones specs in detail to be sure it will either do what you want.

There are some technically advanced ways to expand functionality. These methods have a bit of risk associated with them. You risk bricking your phone by rooting it if it's an Android, or Jailbreaking it if it's and iPhone. I am unfamiliar with any hacking/cracking techniques for WebOS or Blackberry.

I take it by your existance on this forum that you are familiar with Ubuntu, and at least have a basic understanding of computers. If you wan't an impressive phone, consider the Neo Freerunner. It is availible for [almost] all carriers, is relatively inexpensive, runs a modified version of Ubuntu (including wine, imagine the possibilities) or Android plus few others. It's a very advanced phone. The caviate is that it is a "development' phone and should not be used in "Mission critical" scenarios. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have an iPhone, it sucks. My next phone is without a doubt going to be an Android phone (probably Samsung or HTC).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you all for your suggestion and advice.

I was not able to buy a smart-phone since our household (everyone) agreed to not have Internet on a phone for economic reasons. And most smart phones require Internet.

Thank you all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12