Thread: kernel 3.0.0 kernel in lucid - minor problems with apparmor

Beans

kernel 3.0.0 kernel in lucid - minor problems with apparmor

Hi all . I recently compiled a 3.0.0 kernel for my lucid and its running smoothly so far . The only troubling ( or rather irritating) thing is this message near the end of my boot :

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
    /dev/loop0: clean, 213931/752192 files, 1403467/3006464 blocks (check in 3 mounts)
    * Starting AppArmor profiles  /etc/rcS.d/S37apparmor: 150: cannot open /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/features: No such file
    Cache read/write disabled: /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/features interface file missing. (Kernel needs AppArmor 2.4 compatibility patch.)
    Cache read/write disabled: /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/features interface file missing. (Kernel needs AppArmor 2.4 compatibility patch.)
    Warning from /etc/apparmor.d/gdm-guest-session (/etc/apparmor.d/gdm-guest-session line 47): profile /usr/share/gdm/guest-session/Xsession network rules not enforced
    Warning from /etc/apparmor.d/sbin.dhclient3 (/etc/apparmor.d/sbin.dhclient3 line 70): profile /sbin/dhclient3 network rules not enforced
    Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox
    Warning from /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd (/etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd line 162): profile /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf network rules not enforced
    Warning from /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd (/etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd line 162): profile /usr/sbin/cupsd network rules not enforced

The system loads normally after this but its becoming an eyesore . Is there any way o fix this without having to bear the grief of recompiling my kernel ?

Beans

Re: kernel 3.0.0 kernel in lucid - minor problems with apparmor

Hi, I have the same problem. Have you managed to solve it?

Beans

Hi relgames , yes I did manage to fix it - by uninstalling apparmor . My system's doing ok since I did this but get a second opinion before you consider doing the same on your system .

A potentially safer solution would be to install the apparomr compatibility patch that the boot mentions . I couldn't do this cuz its not made for lucid - but if you are running maverick and above , give this a go first .

Beans

triing to understand the message:

It seems to me there are two main messages
    1 /dev/loop0 is fine
    2 something is wrong with apparmor: "/.../features >> no such file

Cache then notes the reason and cure, 6 times, to fill the greater part of the message.
    it is because there is no "interface file" to "../../features" (= it cannot be accessed ?)
    Cure: patch kernel (or replace AppArmor 2.4 with higer version...?)

The details all consern network rules (Note: restrictive rules, if any)
    These are either not applied /gdm/.../Xsession, dhclient3, cups.d or skipped, ../firefox.
    As a result everything runs smoothly, as blade4 notes -and to be expected with no restrictive rules applied.

In the man page of apparmor in suse 11.1 I found the following. I undestand that it refers to somewhere where messages can be rejected.

For confined processes running under a profile that has
    been loaded in complain mode, enforcement will not take
    place and the log messages reported to audit will be of the
    form:

audit(1146868287.904:237): PERMITTING r access to
    /etc/apparmor.d/tunables (du(3811) profile /usr/bin/du active
    /usr/bin/du)

audit(1146868287.904:238): PERMITTING r access to /etc/apparmor.d
    (du(3811) profile /usr/bin/du active /usr/bin/du)

If the userland auditd is not running, the kernel will send
    audit events to klogd; klogd will send the messages to
    syslog, which will log the messages with the KERN facility.
    Thus, REJECTING and PERMITTING messages may go to either
    /var/log/audit/audit.log or /var/log/messages, depending
    upon local configuration.

Also googling Apparmor I read somewhere that apparmor could be disactivated by a bootoption

Though this is not exactly what you aked for, I hope it is helpfull.