Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with Samba Shares (Ubuntu to Ubuntu)

Beans

Re: Trouble with Samba Shares (Ubuntu to Ubuntu)

You can try that but I wouldn't wory about any config files left behind. The only one left is smb.conf and except for that "encrypt password" line it looks just the way it would right after an OS install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

when I select libsmbclient for removal it warns that it's going to remove a bunch of other non-samba related packages that I want to keep like VLC and acidrip. Are you sure I need to get rid of that one?
    Q6600 Quad Core @2.4GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4GB DDR1066 DDR2

Beans

Sorry, forgot about that. I never had to remove all of samba before and I didn't do my homework first. I don't think this strategy of purging all things samba and adding them back is going to work. None of the other packages have anything that can be modified except samba-common.

Beans
    Distro

could any packages that you haven't mentioned be interfering with Samba? There are a few other packages that I added while I was trying to get this working. Basically, anything that showed up in synaptic when I searched Samba or SMB if it sounded like it might help.

Beans
    Distro

I performed a complete uninstall/reinstall of all the packages you listed except libsmbclient on both machines. Then I re-enabled the shares in Samba and still get the same error. I have a few less computers showing up on the network right now as well. I think something that I uninstalled must have marked other dependancies for removal with it, but then reinstalling that package didn't add back everything it removed.

I may just end up doing a restore... on both

Beans

There is something fundamentally wrong with samba on your machine since worst case samba will always work when you bring it down to the ip address level.

Basically, anything that showed up in synaptic when I searched Samba or SMB if it sounded like it might help
    That's was a dangerous thing to do. I searched for samba in synaptic and it listed all sorts of things ( winbind, sadms, etc.. ) that have no place in a home LAN.

It's hard to tell what happened there. You might want to boot into your Mint Install DVD ( do not install ) that has both samba server and samba client already installed and functional from the DVD itself and see if you can access VAIO-MINT11's share. Then you'll know if there's something wrong with your network or something you did to droid that's the problem.

Beans
    Distro

great idea with the LiveCD test to see if the VAIO share is set up right! I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Beans
    Distro

still no luck connecting to the VAIO when I booted the DROID machine from a LiveCD. But at least I know the problem is on the VAIO.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have had many issues with SAMBA, I'm sure mostly my doing. However my greatest success was using Webmin , not just for samba NFS too. Additionally if you have more than one machine you can administer those remotely too.

Philip

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spider_0k View Post
    I have had many issues with SAMBA, I'm sure mostly my doing. However my greatest success was using Webmin , not just for samba NFS too. Additionally if you have more than one machine you can administer those remotely too.

Philip
    Webmin looks interesting. Kind of like a FreeNAS interface for Linux. I would much rather just have Samba working properly first though. It worked fine in earlier versions of Ubuntu.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast