Hi folks,

Very puzzling and important problem. Here's the summary:
    Using wget, curl, and openssl s_client:

• Server can successfully connect to remote https address
    • Remote client can successfully connect to server
    • Server cannot connect to itself

For the last entry, I think openssl gives the most informative error:
    Code:
    4321:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol:s23_clnt.c:601:
    More info
    I was running this server on 32-bit arch originally. I reinstalled on a new 64-bit arch platform. Previously there were no SSL problems. I am using a signed cert from comodo...but also tried using a self-signed cert created on the new installation...no luck. Even directly copying the /etc/ssl and /etc/apache2 dirs from my backup and restarting has done nothing.

Help please!
    It's Lɪ-nʌx and it's not Windows so get on the right plane and don't preach, mention.
    Windows: The evolution of a 32 bit shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit OS coded for a 4 bit CPU by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Cannot connect to localhost through SSL

Well as soon as you finally get around to asking, you figure it out. I tried openssl s_client to my IP address instead of my domain name, and....it worked! I added the line

Code:
    [my IP]   [my domain name]
    to /etc/hosts, and everything is fixed. Funny thing is, that line was not their in the previous install either, yet it worked. Oh well, problem solved.
    It's Lɪ-nʌx and it's not Windows so get on the right plane and don't preach, mention.
    Windows: The evolution of a 32 bit shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit OS coded for a 4 bit CPU by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.