Re: Howto: Make Dvd Videos From An Avi File

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    For a more foolproof command, try this:
    Code:
    chmod +x installtovid.sh && ./installtovid.sh
    and
    Code:
    chmod +x removetovid.sh && ./removetovid.sh
    These separators cause a lot of horizontal scrolling on my 1024x768 screen. This makes it really annoying to try to read the howto. Please use shorter lines, or do something like
    Code:
    - - - - - - - -
    (note the spaces), or better yet, remove them entirely and use headings in a large font instead. (BTW, the majority of computer users use 1024x768 and most inexpensive LCD displays--including laptops--are only designed to run at 1024x768.)
    hmm, your suggestions look pretty good, i forgot about resolution problems. i'll edit the howto in a bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolf202 View Post
    works great but a 700 xvid file comes out to 4.8 gigs is there an option to compress?
    did you delete previous encoded video folders and files, before you began to encode the new one? you have to erase everything in the directory where you encode stuff, or else, videos build up on each other, and you'll get bigger files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Greattt tutorial!! I tested it last night on converting an avi... was a lil freaked out by the file size increase, but i can deal with that. I didn't burn it however because the conversion changed the resolution and made the movie look like you were viewing it from some crazed "looking down on everything" angle. It seemed to squish everything up from side to side, making everything seem extremely tall and skinny. Is there anything I can edit that will keep my wide screen movies wide screen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TooRight View Post
    Greattt tutorial!! I tested it last night on converting an avi... was a lil freaked out by the file size increase, but i can deal with that. I didn't burn it however because the conversion changed the resolution and made the movie look like you were viewing it from some crazed "looking down on everything" angle. It seemed to squish everything up from side to side, making everything seem extremely tall and skinny. Is there anything I can edit that will keep my wide screen movies wide screen?
    when you were choosing the options for the video, did you choose widescreen? (default is 4:3 ratio)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by TooRight View Post
    Go into the whatevernameyouchose.xml file created for dvdauthor and I added the line after <titles>:
    <video aspect="16:9" widescreen="nopanscan" />

I am not reading through this whole thread to tell if you are using GUI, which I dont use...or command line, which I do use.

The above edit will make sure your widescreen aspect ratio will hold true on widescreen tvs, and on standard tvs you will have the black bars above and below.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PapaWiskas View Post
    Go into the whatevernameyouchose.xml file created for dvdauthor and I added the line after <titles>:
    <video aspect="16:9" widescreen="nopanscan" />

I am not reading through this whole thread to tell if you are using GUI, which I dont use...or command line, which I do use.

The above edit will make sure your widescreen aspect ratio will hold true on widescreen tvs, and on standard tvs you will have the black bars above and below.
    ah, i didn't know the fix was that simple. thanks man, now i know that for the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by erik1397 View Post
    ah, i didn't know the fix was that simple. thanks man, now i know that for the future.
    No problem erikdude...glad to help.

Beans

***EDIT: updated the guide again, this time i made a zip file containg the install and removal scripts. i thought it was easier, plus, to gt it you have to become a member! (it's an attachment)

Beans

***EDIT AGAIN: modified the script; now i finally included the source tarball of tovid, instead of deb packages, it's just cleaner (and a lot easier to write in my script)

Beans

Excellent !!!
    In other way: do you know how how to add/ paste subtitles at this DVD format?

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast