Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Make DVD Videos Using Tovid: The Video Disc Authoring Suite

Beans

Re: Howto: Make Dvd Videos From An Avi File

Quote Originally Posted by squidward_tentacles
    PS I did make sure all the dependancies were installed before begining, and it DOES seem to work w/out the GUI, aka if I enter just "tovid", however as a recent convert from windows, I am a bit bewildered as how to run programs entirely from the command prompt, a GUI interface is highly desired. Well thanks in advance for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by QUASAR_FREAK
    Same problem here =/
    Well to answer both of your questions , here's the solution: Instead of just taking out the "Parser" part, delete this entire line from the file "tovidgui":
    # Import other tovid modules
    from libtovid import TDL, Parser, Project
    Last edited by user1397; June 2nd, 2006 at 12:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

OK, removing the entire line DID fix the GUI interface =). While waiting for a reply to the last post, I went ahead and ran tovid from the command line, and took the new dvd.mpeg file and sent it through the mkiso process, I have my movie! <yay!> now to write it to disk! /home/DVD...ok, theres 2 files here Audio_TS, and Video_TS, Ill make the assumption that Video_TS is the one we want here, wait..theres also a new entry in the home folder, but not in the DVD folder, that boldy proclaims itself as simply "dvd.iso" properties = raw CD image, 3.1gbs that wasnt mentioned in the tutorial, so ill steer clear of that right now...hmmmm, THAT isnt the one im supossed to write, is it? Staying with my interpertation of the tutorial, Applications, Sound & Video, k3b......new error msg about configuring k3b as root...hmmm, "sudo k3b" <being the gullible Linux newbie that I am> well, "something" happened all right lol, then I recieved the k3b error msg you documented at in the link posted at the very start of this thread, the one about "file size bigger than 2gb", the one where the given solution was to try a different program...again, lol.
    Well, ok, theres more than one way to write an .iso in Linux right? Next stop Gnomebaker, result "file too large". OK then, Graveman. Wow, its finally writing!! The end result was a movie of wildly varying video qualities, with an audio track that fades out to silence with loud "pops" at regular intervals and will only play on one of my two DVD players.
    um...amy suggestions as to what may have gone wrong/ how I can improve quality, as to make a watchable movie? Please forgive me if I seem a bit frustrated here, during the course of trying to post this reply, Firefox has unexpectadly crashed once, and when I tried to post this a minute ago, I was told I was no longer signed in...start over. Anyway, thanks in advance for your help =) I DO like Ubuntu, I think I may just be having "one of those days" heh, I think ill hold off on the "How to install HP printers" till tommorow, one thing at a time right?

Beans

OK, removing the entire line DID fix the GUI interface =). While waiting for a reply to the last post, I went ahead and ran tovid from the command line, and took the new dvd.mpeg file and sent it through the mkiso process, I have my movie! <yay!> now to write it to disk! /home/DVD...ok, theres 2 files here Audio_TS, and Video_TS, Ill make the assumption that Video_TS is the one we want here, wait..theres also a new entry in the home folder, but not in the DVD folder, that boldy proclaims itself as simply "dvd.iso" properties = raw CD image, 3.1gbs that wasnt mentioned in the tutorial, so ill steer clear of that right now...hmmmm, THAT isnt the one im supossed to write, is it? Staying with my interpertation of the tutorial, Applications, Sound & Video, k3b......new error msg about configuring k3b as root...hmmm, "sudo k3b" <being the gullible Linux newbie that I am> well, "something" happened all right lol, then I recieved the k3b error msg you documented at in the link posted at the very start of this thread, the one about "file size bigger than 2gb", the one where the given solution was to try a different program...again, lol.
    Well, ok, theres more than one way to write an .iso in Linux right? Next stop Gnomebaker, result "file too large". OK then, Graveman. Wow, its finally writing!! The end result was a movie of wildly varying video qualities, with an audio track that fades out to silence with loud "pops" at regular intervals and will only play on one of my two DVD players.
    um...amy suggestions as to what may have gone wrong/ how I can improve quality, as to make a watchable movie? Please forgive me if I seem a bit frustrated here, during the course of trying to post this reply, Firefox has unexpectadly crashed once, and when I tried to post this a minute ago, I was told I was no longer signed in...start over. Anyway, thanks in advance for your help =) I DO like Ubuntu, I think I may just be having "one of those days" heh, I think ill hold off on the "How to install HP printers" till tommorow, one thing at a time right?
    actually, you're supposed to burn the "dvd.iso" file! Srry if i wasn't clear enough on that! you can actually delete that "dvd" folder, but don't delete the "dvd.iso" file, until you've actually burned it!
    Last edited by user1397; June 3rd, 2006 at 01:14 AM.

Beans

i've made the instructions a little clearer for step 7; now i don't say anything about the dvd folder, i only talk about the iso file, because that's the only one that matters.

Beans

Please post anyone if this method has worked for you, and list any/all issues you may have encountered while taking this tutuorial. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I installed k3b as per the instrucions given, I dont know why its not working. In the end, all I did to write the image to disk <as graveman wouldnt accept the dvd.iso> was right click on it and choose write to disk, and a short time later I have a high quality movie, that is instantly recognized as DVD-VIDEO by either one of my DVD players. Thanks again! Superb job. Cheers!

Beans

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I installed k3b as per the instrucions given, I dont know why its not working. In the end, all I did to write the image to disk <as graveman wouldnt accept the dvd.iso> was right click on it and choose write to disk, and a short time later I have a high quality movie, that is instantly recognized as DVD-VIDEO by either one of my DVD players. Thanks again! Superb job. Cheers!
    Look on post below.
    Last edited by user1397; June 3rd, 2006 at 01:12 AM.

Beans

*Edited the howto. Now I chose not to add instructions on installing and using k3b, since I deem it actually unneccessary (even though I didn't feel like that before.) Instead I chose to use nautilu's cd/dvd creator, a much simpler application, and plus k3b needs lots of dependencies, and that's no good for a slower system. (Plus, who likes KDE apps on GNOME anyway??? )

Beans

*Edit: Added ending credits

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I don't know of the berlios page is just a mirror, or the new home, or an old page, or ... but this ( http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page ) seems to be the page with the most current version of tovid. (0.27)

I'm going to (mostly) follow your instructions, but with the newer version. Perhaps the problem with the module import has been corrected in tovidgui in the new version.

Thanks for posting these instructions. I doubt that I would have found this program otherwise. (and I've been wanting to create some DVDs from assorted funny videos I have collected)

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast