Thread: start program on server from HTML

Beans

start program on server from HTML

hi, i'll keep this short, i'd like to Run a Launcher on my "server" computer from a HTML webpage(a button or link? quick script), the idea is for a game server, i can leave my net running and my mates can start the server remotely, I REALLY do not want to trust any of them with actual remote access.

is there anything that can do this?

ubuntu 11.04

thanks for your time.

Beans

Re: start program on server from HTML

Quote Originally Posted by srs008 View Post
    hi, i'll keep this short, i'd like to Run a Launcher on my "server" computer from a HTML webpage(a button or link? quick script), the idea is for a game server, i can leave my net running and my mates can start the server remotely, I REALLY do not want to trust any of them with actual remote access.

is there anything that can do this?

ubuntu 11.04

thanks for your time.
    Hi ...

If you're leaving the computer running, why don't you leave the software running too?

But to answer your question, write a shell script to start and stop the software and put it in your cgi-bin directory. Then a little web page with a form to call the scripts.

Hope that gets you started.

Kind regards
    Jonathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you know basic PHP you could use its exec() function. It would be pretty much trivial to implement with a form on a webpage.

Beans

thanks guys, i'll give it a go in a few hours, the reason it's not running all the time is i plan on running a few game servers, by allowing a remote start, i can put a script/plugin into the game to close off after say 20-30 minutes inactivity.
    thanks again

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by srs008 View Post
    thanks guys, i'll give it a go in a few hours, the reason it's not running all the time is i plan on running a few game servers, by allowing a remote start, i can put a script/plugin into the game to close off after say 20-30 minutes inactivity.
    thanks again
    Hi

Good reasons for not leaving it running. I'd advise separating out the web problem from the game starting and managing.

Here's a trivial web action:
    Code:
    <html>
    <form method=get action=/cgi-bin/doit.sh>
    <input type=submit value=doit>
    </form>
    </html>
    This is in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/doit.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

echo 'Content-Type: text/plain'
    echo ''
    date
    You may find you have some permissions issues or the problem with multiple processes running your game. One way round that is use crontab to start the game, if required, every minute, based on the contents of a request file in /var

Hope those ideas help.

Kind regards,
    Jonathan.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Remember that the script will be running with the web server's identity and privileges, not root's. So you need to make sure that starting the server as user "www-data" (in Ubuntu) will successfully launch the application you need.