Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 wont run Thunderbird or Evolution

Beans

Ubuntu 11.04 wont run Thunderbird or Evolution

Hi all

I have an odd problem with Thunderbird and also Evolution email after I upgraded 10.10 to 11.04. Neither will receive email or send email. However I also have Virtualbox running on the Ubuntu 11.04 OS. I have several XP appliances running all with Thunderbird. These VM's all run Thunderbird perfectly.

I have checked all Thunderbird settings in Ubuntu and these are exactly the same as the XP VMs. Also Evolution has the same email settings. Neither will send or receive - after a few minutes they time out.

The notebook is an Acer 5920 and Ubuntu 11.04 is 64 bit.

I notice some other minor quirks with Ubuntu 11.04 so I wonder if it's a bit "new" as yet.

I also have all available updates installed but this didn't make any difference.

Any suggestions welcome.

Ian

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 wont run Thunderbird or Evolution

What email server are you using? Is this a completely new install of 11.04 or an upgrade?
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 wont run Thunderbird or Evolution

Hi Jtarin

The email server is the same I used for Ubuntu 10.10, 10.04, 9.10 etc etc. It is the same as on the XP partitions so this cannot be a factor - also it is unlikely that the email provider will be known globally anyway. The service is pop3 as before - not IMAP etc. So the odd thing is that the only difference in all cases is Ubuntu 11.04 wrt running both Thunderbird and Evolution.

The installation was run from a CD rather than an upgrade - so the installation should be "clean".

No error messages occurred during the process and Ethernet was connected for s/w updates during the process. THerefore I don't think the installation was faulty.

Thanks for any suggestions that I can try.

Note - the issue is "odd" but isn't serious. I tend to use firefox etc for email / gmail etc rather than Thunderbird or the inbuilt "Evolution" - I'm surprised this latter email package failed!