Thread: What features should a College Management App have?

Beans

Question What features should a College Management App have?

I'm building a free and open source college management software system. This software will help all staff members in managing their data relevant to the subjects they teach, track the syllabus completion, manage student attendance, handle student data (term work marks, practical etc.) and many more with the ease of a click. Also students can use this system to view their attendance, semester results online,etc.

Moreover, I plan to facilitate admin department to manage an array of activities such as admission process, maintaining financial accounts, railway concession etc.

I want to know what features should such a system have, so that I can build it.

You can find more information about the project at:
    http://collegeczar.com/index.php/abo...wledge-centric

Beans

Re: What features should a College Management App have?

Quote Originally Posted by iampriteshdesai View Post
    I'm building a free and open source college management software system. This software will help all staff members in managing their data relevant to the subjects they teach, track the syllabus completion, manage student attendance, handle student data (term work marks, practical etc.) and many more with the ease of a click. Also students can use this system to view their attendance, semester results online,etc.

Moreover, I plan to facilitate admin department to manage an array of activities such as admission process, maintaining financial accounts, railway concession etc.

I want to know what features should such a system have, so that I can build it.

You can find more information about the project at:
    http://collegeczar.com/index.php/abo...wledge-centric
    The features will be dependant on a Systems Analysis and Business Process evaluation.

I mean you can make a generic, but most establishments would need bespoke features i am sure.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

I want to make it simple enough for any college to try it out. I've already added an attendance module.
    Educational Institutes can add students and then mark their attendance on a daily basis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

keep it simple, just add an Feedback feature and let the users make the requests

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by juancarlospaco View Post
    keep it simple, just add an Feedback feature and let the users make the requests
    I want it to work out of the box. Colleges can install it and they are good to go.
    Here are some feature's I've planned:

Performance Tracker

Attendance analyzer and summarizer [DONE]

Online coursework vaults

Syllabus completion tracker

Online library

Study notes

Assignment notification

Online results

Exam application

Online Admission

Fees and fine management

Lecture videos

Time table

Railway concession

Student Dashboard

Messaging system

Feedback is present via the contact form.

Beans

I want to make it simple enough for any college to try it out. I've already added an attendance module.
    Educational Institutes can add students and then mark their attendance on a daily basis.
    if in doubt take a look at others.

http://www.i-netsolution.com/collegemanagement.html

nice long list of possible features you could add
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    if in doubt take a look at others.

http://www.i-netsolution.com/collegemanagement.html

nice long list of possible features you could add
    nice! thanks

Beans

Here's a video of the Attendance Module

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I want it to work out of the box. Colleges can install it and they are good to go.
    Good luck with this huge project. You mention

Online coursework vaults, Syllabus completion tracker, Online library, Study notes, Assignment notification, Online results, Student Dashboard, Messaging system

Those functions could be provided using a system like Moodle (moodle.org), an open source Virtual Learning Environment (there are others). With luck, you will be able to pull student identities in from your registration/timetabling/fees system.

There are major differences between countries in the way the educational systems work. Best thing is to spend some time making a 'user story' for made up students that maps their progress thru' the system in your territory.

User stories can help get an idea of what is needed (and help with marketing the system when completed). A couple I used in staff training some time ago (relevant to UK Further Education).

http://bodmas.org/blog/ilt-ideas/user-stories-teacher/

http://bodmas.org/blog/ilt-ideas/use...adult-student/

My fellow teachers began to realise how complex the data flows became after brainstorming a few of these...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    Good luck with this huge project. You mention

Online coursework vaults, Syllabus completion tracker, Online library, Study notes, Assignment notification, Online results, Student Dashboard, Messaging system

Those functions could be provided using a system like Moodle (moodle.org), an open source Virtual Learning Environment (there are others). With luck, you will be able to pull student identities in from your registration/timetabling/fees system.

There are major differences between countries in the way the educational systems work. Best thing is to spend some time making a 'user story' for made up students that maps their progress thru' the system in your territory.

User stories can help get an idea of what is needed (and help with marketing the system when completed). A couple I used in staff training some time ago (relevant to UK Further Education).

http://bodmas.org/blog/ilt-ideas/user-stories-teacher/

http://bodmas.org/blog/ilt-ideas/use...adult-student/

My fellow teachers began to realise how complex the data flows became after brainstorming a few of these...
    Thanks,
    We are using the software in my college on a trial basis and making adjustments as we go along.
    User story seems to be a good idea.
    I haven't yet got a hang about moodle, will check it out in detail later.