Thread: Locking user into virtual machine

Beans

Locking user into virtual machine

Hi,

I'm trying to solve what must be a pretty common problem but to which google has not yet yielded a satisfactory answer. If a member of the unwashed masses happens to be visiting your abode and asks to use your computer is there a nice, technically elegant solution to the problem that does not entail convulsive shaking of your head and hunching over your machine in an ever more protective pose?

More seriously I was wondering if there's a way to launch a VM (say virtual box) and stop the user from getting out of it. Does VB or any other VM support a password requirement for leaving the VM (i.e. say in full screen mode)? This strikes me as more elegant than setting up a locked down account and having to worry you haven't locked it down well enough (default permissions will let users look into each others home directories I think). Though failing this if anyone has ideas for another way to set up a per-user kiosk thing it would be much appreciated.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Locking user into virtual machine

Always read the manual.

VBoxSDL:
    http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#vboxsdl
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!