Thread: vmware-install.pl file not running

Beans

vmware-install.pl file not running

hi all....

i need your help installing vmware workstation.

i already installed it on another pc but the link where it gave the clear instructions has changed.

i've tried all the commands sudo ./vmware-install.pl and nothing happens, i try some chmod command and same thing.

i can run things so its not a security or access issue...

all the links say to try the sudo ./vmware-install.pl command but this doesn't work...could someone pls explain why?????

thanks,

glenn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: vmware-install.pl file not running

1. Do you need to cd into the directory with vmwar-install.pl ?

2. Where is the file located ? If it is not in home, or if home is on a separate partition, is the noexec set on the partition in /etc/fstab ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

the file is in the desktop

under home/username/desktop/vmware-distrib

so i cd into vmware-distrib and then action the commands.

the same location that its on my other machine.

i managed to install it on the other machine but when i tried to run it again i get the same result as on the new machine so its just a matter of what i need to type in...

i had the instructions but lost them but i remember chmod command i think....

plsssss help or ima throw ubuntu out the window because this is 2008 and we shouldn't be going through this heartache when installing something, windows is not a perfect o/s but at least theres only one way to install things not 100.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If you need a walk through, check the mega thread , the instructions for Server should work for Workstation.

You could also check the VMWare site as Workstation is a "Third party" application.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

i checked that...they all say the same command sudo ./vmware-install.pl

why is not happening, i know its a quick command just don't know what it is...

Beans

This is an older thread but I will post here as I stumbled upon it while looking for the same answer trying to install it for vmware player. My vm was originally created with vmware server.

In order to be able to install the vmtools (to be able to run vmwar-install.pl) you need first to login as root.
    To enable the root account in ubuntu:
    sudo passwd root and choose a password.

Once you are logged on as root you can open a terminal and run the installer:

sudo ./ (and drag the file here)
    Last edited by toddrom; September 5th, 2011 at 07:33 AM.