Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best OS for Acer Aspire one netbook

Beans

Question Best OS for Acer Aspire one netbook

I just got a Acer Aspire one (D257-13448) and like most netbooks it came with windows 7 starter edition. As much as I like windows 7 its just not good enough for what i wanna do on my netbook.

Here is my netbooks specs...
    CPU : Intel Atom N455 (1.66GHz single core\\dual threaded)
    RAM : 1GB DDR3
    Video : Intel Mobility GMA3150
    Storage : 250GB HDD (not a solid state drive)

So Im looking for a new OS that will let me get the best out of my cheap netbook. I've looked at Xubuntu, Ubuntu Netbook Edition\Remix, Jolicloud, and Debian with XFCE.

What would be the best for me, heres a list of things i plan on doing...
    Watching online video
    Watching downloaded videos/anime (usually mp4, avi, or mkv)
    Listening to music
    Browsing the net
    Looking at pictures
    Reading digital manga online and off my hard drive
    Playing Open Transport Tycoon (plays well in Windows 7 starter)
    Playing Minecraft (Chugs in Windows 7 starter)

Also, I bought a Microsoft Wireless mouse (the one with bluetrack technology ie has a blue tracking laser), so it would be nice if the os supports wireless mice via usb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best OS for Acer Aspire one netbook

My wife does everything you would like to do (except the games) on her aspire one with Ubuntu 11.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NekoMaster View Post
    What would be the best for me, heres a list of things i plan on doing...
    Watching online video
    Watching downloaded videos/anime (usually mp4, avi, or mkv)
    Listening to music
    Browsing the net
    Looking at pictures
    Reading digital manga online and off my hard drive
    Playing Open Transport Tycoon (plays well in Windows 7 starter)
    Playing Minecraft (Chugs in Windows 7 starter)

Also, I bought a Microsoft Wireless mouse (the one with bluetrack technology ie has a blue tracking laser), so it would be nice if the os supports wireless mice via usb.
    Any Ubuntu (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Linux Mint, or regular Ubuntu) should work fine on that computer for those things. I mean, assuming there's no hardware compatibility problems; you'd have to try Ubuntu first from the CD before installing.

Your mouse should be supported - usually mice use a standard driver.

Open Transport Tycoon is in the Ubuntu repositories I believe, so it shouldn't be any trouble.

Despite its primitive looks, Minecraft really uses a lot of graphics power. Your netbook uses a very low-end integrated graphics GPU, which is probably underclocked further for low power consumption. Frankly, it's not up to Minecraft, regardless of the operating system.

Minecraft makes my Nvidia GTX260's fan run loudly over time, so there's no way your integrated Intel graphics will work well in it.

Sorry! But I'm sure the rest of your Ubuntu experience will be fine. Your computer is powerful enough for Compiz visual effects and the new Unity interface.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Well after some tweaking and using a program called game booster I find that I can run minecraft at a decent speed on Windows 7 Starter if I turn the settings down.

If it took some tweaking and a program to get minecraft to work on windows 7 starter, would any linux os be able to run as fast or better then a tweaked windows 7 starter?

Edit : Also, even if i can't play minecraft I want the highest performing OS on here (without resorting to puppy linux)

Beans
    Distro

NekoMaster said, " . . . would any linux os be able to run as fast or better then a tweaked windows 7 starter?
    Edit : Also, even if i can't play minecraft I want the highest performing OS on here (without resorting to puppy linux)"

Ahhh -- a geek after my own heart!
    Let me share with you some of my favorite hipo linux flavors --

PCLXDE (which stands for PCLinuxOS LXDE) -- a review ( http://greentechgirl.com/green-compu...e-2009-review/ ); official webpage
    note: the ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu mirror is good, if you don't mind ftp; PCLXDE is just plain fun

peppermint -- ubuntu-basaed, shares a developer with MintLXDE (which is slower); criticized as a Cloud distro but I just tweak as desired; very quick

CrunchBang aka #! -- Debian-based, choose Openbox 32-bit version of Statler by BitTorrent; very good support; quick and fun

Swift Linux -- based on antiX-M11, therefore excellent support via its parent; download Regular first ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/swif...r.iso/download ) to try; what I use regularly

lubuntu -- I hope it has gotten better since it is now "official" because it is arguably the best 'buntu out there!
    Last edited by sidzen; September 4th, 2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add info; typo
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans

Compard to Windows 7 Starter edition, which is faster?
    Crunchbang or Peppermint OS (both being based on debain or ubuntu i can at least play Minecraft if I try)

Beans

i have opensuse KDE version running on acer aspire one SSD version very stable and dont get any unrecoverable boot problems even after shutting down incorrectly - much faster and slicker than ubuntu

Ubuntu no end of boot problems

so would say dual boot with opensuse and windows would be my choice

(that's what is on my desktop)
    Last edited by retchid; September 4th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by retchid View Post
    i have opensuse KDE version running on acer aspire one SSD version very stable and dont get any unrecoverable boot problems even after shutting down incorrectly - much faster and slicker than ubuntu

Ubuntu no end of boot problems

so would say dual boot with opensuse and windows would be my choice

(that's what is on my desktop)
    have you tried any java games on OpenSuse?

At the moment I got windows 7 to a point where i can play minecraft comfortably (not silky smooth but playable)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NekoMaster View Post
    Compard to Windows 7 Starter edition, which is faster?
    Crunchbang or Peppermint OS (both being based on debain or ubuntu i can at least play Minecraft if I try)
    Since I don't know Windostarter, All I can compare them to is themselves -- each is comparable to the other in speed, if at least 512MB RAM is present -- but since you are a n00b, I'd say go with peppermint.

Stay away from KDE and Gnome is my recommendation -- XFCE at the 'heaviest!'
    Last edited by sidzen; September 5th, 2011 at 02:30 AM. Reason: add info
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans

Im not a noob, I've been using computers for a long time but I dont know every thing about linux. Im just looking for something thats not only faster then a tuned windows 7 starter (its about 30-40% better then when i first got this netbook), but I'd like something that has the ability to run minecraft at a playable speed on limited hardware

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast