Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose a recording interface and drop Windows forever

Beans

Re: Help me choose a recording interface and drop Windows forever

x
    Last edited by dawiba; February 6th, 2012 at 01:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dawiba View Post
    I also use Mixbus and Linuxdsp plugins and record my synth as midi through Qtractor and the audio into Mixbus. I hardly ever get xruns and overall, everything works really well. No need for RT or lowlatency kernels here
    Awesome, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, huh? Keep the linux pro audio success stories coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofJohnToad View Post
    Thanks, eqyiel. I am looking at getting a Focusrite so this was very informative and encouraging! I interested on how it will perform in a live situation with everything going on at once.
    This warms my heart. I'm glad to hear it.

I've been having a hell of a time these last couple of weeks learning about compiling custom kernels while kernel.org has been down! My missions since last time I posted have been to patch and compile a realtime kernel, and then to do set everything up like I have it here in Arch Linux (where I plan to migrate eventually).

What will be of interest for you about this is that I can now confirm that it is possible to compile a custom kernel with the legacy firewire stack if the new one doesn't play nice with FFADO and your device, like the Saffire Pro 40. I couldn't find any answers for this before I tried it myself. Seeing as the old stack is removed from the newer Ubuntu kernels and both the current and lts Arch kernels, it looks like this is just something that we'll have to do until FFADO catches up.

The realtime kernel is great! I was noticing a few xruns in the plain Maverick setup that I posted before, but with the realtime patch I can set the frames/period as low as 64 with 4ms latency and no xruns at all!!

For those of you who are interested, this is the resource that helped me the most while I was unable to access the official realtime-patch documentation.

When you run make localmodconfig, pay special attention to these queries:

Code:
    FireWire driver stack (FIREWIRE) [N/m/y/?] n
    Legacy alternative FireWire driver stack (IEEE1394) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) y
      OHCI-1394 controllers (IEEE1394_OHCI1394) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) y
      PCILynx controller (IEEE1394_PCILYNX) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) n
      Storage devices (SBP-2 protocol) (IEEE1394_SBP2) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) n
      IP networking over 1394 (experimental) (IEEE1394_ETH1394) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) n
      raw1394 userspace interface (IEEE1394_RAWIO) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) y
      video1394 userspace interface (IEEE1394_VIDEO1394) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) y
      dv1394 userspace interface (deprecated) (IEEE1394_DV1394) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) y
      Excessive debugging output (IEEE1394_VERBOSEDEBUG) [N/y/?] (NEW) n
    Obviously, if you need the legacy modules for the PCILynx controller (whatever that is), sbp2 or IP networking, you need to select yes for those ones too.

Code:
    Preemption Mode
      1. No Forced Preemption (Server) (PREEMPT_NONE)
      2. Voluntary Kernel Preemption (Desktop) (PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY)
      3. Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency Desktop) (PREEMPT_DESKTOP) (NEW)
      > 4. Complete Preemption (Real-Time) (PREEMPT_RT) (NEW)
    You want to select number 4.

I'm pretty sure you can compile the new stack as well if you need that for other devices if you pay attention to which stack is currently modprobed. I still haven't had a chance to test everything in a live environment with the pressure on, just been recording a bit of guitar by myself. I'll be sure to tell you ASAP!
    Last edited by eqyiel; October 4th, 2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: heavy lids

Beans

Fender Mustang 1 usb amp should be great for hassle free live linux setups. No kernel magic needed, it just shows up, ready for action.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...61791000001000

linux Mustang patch editor reaches V1.0!

http://piorekf.org/plug/

This has most of the funtions of the mac/windoze Fuse software.
    Make fx chains, pre and post, choose from 12 Fender Amps, choose
    the speaker cabinet, bias and sag on some models. Save 24 presets
    available on the amps dial. Process further in Rakarrack, Calf, Guitarix, LV2 rack, as desired.

Beans

x
    Last edited by dawiba; February 6th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dawiba View Post
    Umm..I wasn't bragging or anything, I was just replying to this sentence of yours in post #9

I guess I've been pretty lucky with my set up in comparison to some others. It pretty much 'just worked'. Sorry if you took my post the wrong way.
    Sorry for making you worry! I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or clever or anything. Honestly, I'm happy that it works so well for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by sgx View Post
    This has most of the funtions of the mac/windoze Fuse software.
    Make fx chains, pre and post, choose from 12 Fender Amps, choose
    the speaker cabinet, bias and sag on some models. Save 24 presets
    available on the amps dial. Process further in Rakarrack, Calf, Guitarix, LV2 rack, as desired.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. At first it was so alien to me, I've never heard of Fuse until now or seen anything like this amp before! Crazy how many pies Fender has their fingers in these days, you would think that after so long of making guitars and amps that they wouldn't need to start developing software...
    Last edited by eqyiel; October 4th, 2011 at 11:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12