Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marketing: That's what ubuntu need!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Marketing: That's what ubuntu need!

Here is an example how to make the things became better then they are:

http://images.linspire.com/linspire5.0intro4-8-6.swf

that is what we need... Audio + Video + A good Presentation, then we can conquer the world... muahahaha!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Marketing: That's what ubuntu need!

How about we start with a rock solid, kickass product and then do the cheesy marketing stunts?

As for publicity I say we dunk Jeff Waugh on Time Square

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by brodock
    Here is an example how to make the things became better then they are:

http://images.linspire.com/linspire5.0intro4-8-6.swf

that is what we need... Audio + Video + A good Presentation, then we can conquer the world... muahahaha!
    I wouldn't touch Linspire with a 10 foot pole. No matter how good the presentation is, I have a feeling it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Getting "all files supported" probably takes an Eula 5 miles long.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I agree somewhat with lovechild. The fantastic thing about Ubuntu is how popular it has become with relatively little in the way of conventional marketing strategies. However, as with any other chain store or product, a bit of bad publicity can be much more damaging than a bit of good publicity.

e.g. Joe Schmoe succumbs to "peer pressure" to switch to Ubuntu. Instead of a smooth installation, he comes up against a host of problems he doesn't know how to fix, wastes most of the next week trying to solve them, then gives up in frustration. What's the bet he's going to tell all his other friends how awful Linux is, and how difficult will it be to convince them to make the switch in future?

Eventually, the product will be good enough to market more aggressively, AND the community will be large enough and experienced enough to help the Joe Schmoe's to get their system up and running. But there's nothing to gain by acting in haste.

Beans

..thats supposed to attract users?

The spread ubuntu idea was a good one, shame it never really got off the ground

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I suggest collecting money for a full page NY Times ad (from supporters like us). Much like what FF did when it was officially released in 2003/4??
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Nice nick. I don't mind donating my money to help Ubuntu, but I think my money would be wasted on that suggestion at this point in time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Yeah that video was not that good. I agree with the above posters, creating solid software that just works and then letting word of mouth spread about it is the best way.

The word of mouth style also helps people get comfortable with the idea. They know someone that has done it and who can probably put them in touch with a huge community that has done it. It allows the user to become more comfortable, just typing the words 'world class support' into a video won't help that person. But if he has a problem or a question and is able to call up his friend who told him about it and who he trusts and is comfortable with, now that is a good strategy.

If any ads were put out I would like to see them more along the lines of debunking myths and comon misconceptions rather than just touting Ubuntu as the second coming.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

When I knew nothing about Linux -- that flash (actually, the 4.5 version) was why I used Linspire, and therefore, somewhat why I use Linux. I would not condemn it. "Marketing Stunt", it might be, but it worked for me..
    ^.*$

Beans
    Hidden!

I'd much rather have no advertising than trash like that Linspire one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast