Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Menu item missing in Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Menu item missing in Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    Now I could remove it altogether and reinstall from scratch. I just hesitate to go back and reinstall all my Windows software again.
    I was actually talking about removing it and re-install it again from scratch but you might lose your programs, etc.

Then again, 11.10 is only a month away-- it might resolve itself with an upgrade.
    Only if it's a bug IMHO.

Have you tried to search for similar issue here: www.googlubuntu.com ?

XFCE would breathe new life into a laptop like this too; it's just that LXDE does it better. Lubuntu has some very good features, but its support for shortcuts is--yes--lame by comparison with the other lightweight distro I use. I'm not unhappy with Lubuntu overall; I'm just pointing out one of its shortcomings (as I see them).
    Appreciate that and thanks for your opinion. Our point of view may vary but at the end, I guess we both like LXDE

Not forgotten. I'm not about to toss LXDE; I'm just carping about something that was bothering me at the time.
    Ok, and I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh/rude

I'll try to read your thread again and try to produce the same issue and will let you know if I got some updates. I installed Wine just to help you with your thread. I don't ever use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Have you tried to copy the wine.desktop file to /home/user/desktop? That should put it on the desktop.
    Yes, that worked--though it installs the "Wine Windows Program Loader" icon to the Desktop. That icon shows in my Preferences menu already; what I'm looking for is the whole Wine menu I used to have just beneath Sound & Video. Thanks though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    I was actually talking about removing it and re-install it again from scratch but you might lose your programs, etc.
    Ah, ok! Yes, that is a definite option to try. I may go ahead and do that.

Only if it's a bug IMHO.
    Actually, I've seen upgrades fix little issues I was having that were like this, where a configuration got goofed up somewhere I couldn't track down. So it's possible, though I wouldn't lay money on it--but of course, with Ubuntu there's no money involved.

Have you tried to search for similar issue here: www.googlubuntu.com ?
    No--but I may do that too.

Appreciate that and thanks for your opinion. Our point of view may vary but at the end, I guess we both like LXDE
    Agreed. It's a nice DE.

Ok, and I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh/rude

I'll try to read your thread again and try to produce the same issue and will let you know if I got some updates. I installed Wine just to help you with your thread. I don't ever use it.
    That's ok--I may actually have responded harshly/rudely myself. Yesterday was kind of an ugly day at the office, which has done bad things for my mood... I may have approached the petulant "You're not helping meeeeee!" attitude Linux folks sometimes get from newbies. Thanks for taking the time and effort to attack the issue with me. I do wish I could remember what key combination or whatever it was that caused that menu to disappear. In the end it won't be a big hairy deal if I can't work this out.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, ok! Yes, that is a definite option to try. I may go ahead and do that.
    I'm afraid that's the only option. However, I suggest to go through your configuration files (.desktop) and check the syntax, etc. Two days ago, I was testing a new shortcut and I messed up my lubuntu-rc.xml file then I figured out how to fix it and I got rid from an error message I had after logging to Lubuntu.

Actually, I've seen upgrades fix little issues I was having that were like this, where a configuration got goofed up somewhere I couldn't track down. So it's possible, though I wouldn't lay money on it--but of course, with Ubuntu there's no money involved.
    Perhaps it's possible and perhaps it's not

No--but I may do that too.
    www.googlubuntu.com is very helpful.

Agreed. It's a nice DE.
    +1

That's ok--I may actually have responded harshly/rudely myself. Yesterday was kind of an ugly day at the office, which has done bad things for my mood... I may have approached the petulant "You're not helping meeeeee!" attitude Linux folks sometimes get from newbies. Thanks for taking the time and effort to attack the issue with me.
    Oh come on, never mind ... we all do that and pass through the same (even though I'm jobless) so totally understood

You welcome

I do wish I could remember what key combination or whatever it was that caused that menu to disappear. In the end it won't be a big hairy deal if I can't work this out.
    You know? nothing better than these issues whether it's huge or not. After all, you can't learn how to fix unless you break. I know it's not your fault as you didn't do it purposely but IMHO, this is the best approach of learning.

Keep us updated in case you'll find something and I'll keep searching too whenever I get some extra free time

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well that's depressing. I've done a Complete Removal of Wine in Synaptic, deleted the .wine folder, and deleted whatever wine config files I could find. Then I rebooted, reinstalled Wine, and started reinstalling my apps. Still no Wine menu!

It's not a big deal really, but it would have been nice. Again, maybe 11.10 will make a difference...maybe. In the meantime, I've created some basic scripts on the Desktop that open winecfg and the uninstaller. That'll do the job, just less elegantly. Thanks for taking the time to assist me on this, guys.

Beans
    Distro

Well that's depressing. I've done a Complete Removal of Wine in Synaptic, deleted the .wine folder, and deleted whatever wine config files I could find. Then I rebooted, reinstalled Wine, and started reinstalling my apps. Still no Wine menu!
    That's weird indeed. There must be something so simple we are missing here.

Again, maybe 11.10 will make a difference...maybe.
    Maybe Yes, maybe Not

[qoute]Thanks for taking the time to assist me on this, guys.[/QUOTE]

You welcome and sorry if I couldn't help you much!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That's weird indeed. There must be something so simple we are missing here.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It's probably something really small and simple, but without knowing what it is, there's just about no way to find it out.

Maybe Yes, maybe Not
    Yep. But, considering there's no Wine menu at all--meaning I can't open my Windows apps from the Desktop without creating special scripts (and ugly ones, since I can't use the appropriate icons)...I might just reinstall Lubuntu from scratch with 11.10. It's just my secondary machine anyway.

You welcome and sorry if I couldn't help you much!
    Not to worry. It wasn't for lack of trying.

Beans
    Distro

I always think about complicated ways to fix something then I realize the solution is so much easy and could be done with one or two steps. Yes, if you don't know what are you looking for is definitely hard but interesting at the same time

One needs to learn how to fix broken things without re-installing all over again but sometimes, that probably your only way.

If it's your secondary machine, try to learn how to fix it and if you see no point of doing that, then re-install.

I'll wait for Lubuntu 11.10 too and I think I'll get rid of all the other distribution

s on my machine and install Lubuntu ONLY

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you tried to locate strange .desktop files? If youve reinstalled wine and it still isnt showing up, my guess is that there is a local .desktop file that is overriding other ones.

Code:
    locate wine.desktop

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Have you tried to locate strange .desktop files? If youve reinstalled wine and it still isnt showing up, my guess is that there is a local .desktop file that is overriding other ones.

Code:
    locate wine.desktop
    I think it should be here:

/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast