Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Touchpad

Beans

Re: HP Touchpad

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    I've never actually tried out a Touchpad, but I was willing to take my chances at $100. There was a recent software update and some tweaks that reportedly make Web OS significantly peppier. I have read review that say it feels less polished than iOS, however.
    I believe the TouchPad could have been a contender but it suffered two major blocks, they are, late to the party and release before out of Beta.

I also think HP were premature in its axeing, it was never going to have whirl wind debut like the iPad because it was late to the party, but it could have built sales steadily over time. Software updates would/will fix issues.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry you weren't able to pick one up PhilGil. They're making more so if you're on the waiting list you still might be able to get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ
    Android 3* and IOS is quicker, more intuitive and just seem more polished and finished.
    I've only played with Android and iOS in stores so I don't really have an opinion. But most reviewers I've seen say as far as intuitive goes: webOS > iOS > Android

The sluggishness turns out to be due to two things. For some reason HP shipped them with logging turned up to the maximum, for tech support reasons I guess. It's easy to turn that down to normal and without all of the logging in the background the Touchpad is more responsive. Also if you have a lot of contacts and what not to synch it'll be sluggish for a couple of days while that goes on in the background.

But they've already shipped one webOS update which fixed issues and have just promised a second. Plus like I mentioned I'm still getting updates to app.s like Quick Office. They delivered on the promised edit and font capabilites and so on.

Apparently the Touchpad install base is now the second largest, although still way behind Apple's iPad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    The impression I got from using the TouchPad was, WebOS is OK but just that OK. Android 3* and IOS is quicker, more intuitive and just seem more polished and finished.

WebOS fealt like a Beta.
    I read an article where they installed WebOS on the iPad2 and it was blazing fast. Not sure of the accuracy. But WebOS definitely felt like a beta on release. But they sent several updates. WebOS 3.0.0 shipped with the touchpad, WebOS 3.0.2 was much more responsive and stable. It's the concept behind WebOS that beats the competitors, specifically iOS. iOS is designed to focus almost solely on the apps. WebOS does just that, except brings a much better interface and the best multitasking of them all, while still giving nice functionality like their search feature and just overall great integration of functionality.

That said, I'm very excited for Android Ice Cream Sandwich. This is going to be the greatest release yet, and coming to smartphones too. It's going to be great.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by akand074 View Post
    I read an article where they installed WebOS on the iPad2 and it was blazing fast. Not sure of the accuracy. But WebOS definitely felt like a beta on release. But they sent several updates. WebOS 3.0.0 shipped with the touchpad, WebOS 3.0.2 was much more responsive and stable. It's the concept behind WebOS that beats the competitors, specifically iOS. iOS is designed to focus almost solely on the apps. WebOS does just that, except brings a much better interface and the best multitasking of them all, while still giving nice functionality like their search feature and just overall great integration of functionality.

That said, I'm very excited for Android Ice Cream Sandwich. This is going to be the greatest release yet, and coming to smartphones too. It's going to be great.
    Personally I feel Android is IOS's real competitor. I am considering buying one of the new Acer Tablets just for the hell of it.
    This account is not active.

Beans

wish i could have found one for $100. even if webos sucked somebody will port android to it
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Sorry you weren't able to pick one up PhilGil. They're making more so if you're on the waiting list you still might be able to get one.
    Thanks. I'm on the waiting list but not holding my breath.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Personally I feel Android is IOS's real competitor. I am considering buying one of the new Acer Tablets just for the hell of it.
    Oh, by all means. Android is iOS's only competitor. At least right now. I'm just talking about technologically. Though what I was saying Android and iOS don't are more attractive to different audiences. While WebOS and iOS would have a closer audience. That said, I love the Android and iOS competition. It's really driving innovation. I was really hoping WebOS would be a competitor as well. More competition is always better. I guess I'll have to root for Windows phone to gain some market share.

I don't particularly see the needs of a Tablet. I mean, my phone can do everything the tablet could do. The only thing is, I do find times where I would like a bigger screen, without particularly needing an entire laptop. Which is why something like a padfone is what I would probably love to get. But not now, probably a new product next year running Ice Cream Sandwich natively. This is because Ice Cream Sandwich will run on both the phone and the tablet so it'd have better integration, plus the possibility of them adding USB input ports to the tablet since it's supported. And then I'd be getting a new phone and a new tablet together.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    wish i could have found one for $100. even if webos sucked somebody will port android to it
    HP announced it will continue another batch of Touchpad, but nothing mentioned about price. Do hope it would be available at $89. That's bargain. lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

WebOS is better than android.

Google's marketing machine is powerful. Nowadays you just slap google on it and people jump all over it like it is the next google+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by akand074 View Post
    Touchpad is nowhere near a fail. HP dropping it although partly due to lack of immediate success, it was mostly because they have decided to go the software route and continue focusing on enterprise. HP never even really put much time into the Touchpad and released a buggy product until later updating it and with less than competitive hardware. But it had real promise and could have been a huge competitor in the future.

I'm a huge Android fan. But in terms of the shear OS and nothing else. WebOS is by far the best and most intuitive hands down. I'd like to think that HP will either sell it off or license it, but WebOS is far from dead.
    This!^^

Hardware was never up to par. Palm and HP did not have good quality hardware. I have a palmpre from sprint. The phone itself would shut down for no reason. I had to take it to the sprint store a couple of times and now it works just fine. I know a lot of users were just having problems.

All i can say about the webos is that it rocks! Guys, dont forget to try homebrew. It will make webos much much better.

Here is some general info on homebrew: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FETH4t_yBY
    Last edited by mixint27; September 2nd, 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast