Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black screen and blinking underscore on Ubuntu Installation.

Beans

Black screen and blinking underscore on Ubuntu Installation.

Hi, i have a problem. my internal Superdrive is broke, so I tried to install Ubuntu with an external DVD drive but it's not working… The versions I tried are, 10.04.3 (32 and 64) and 11.04 (32)

When I'm trying to install it, I got a black screen with a blink underscore and nothing happened.

I tried in FW400 and USB using external DVD, nothing
    I tried to use de MacMini's of my friend as a target mode, same problem
    I followed all steps here : http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download but nothing happened.
    When I hold CMD si see what are de boot devices, I can see my CD with de name of Windows.
    I also tried to boot on CD using rEFIt but nothing.

My MacBook is a 2,1 model with 2.0 ghz processor. I can mount my CD under OS X when I insert it into my external DVD drive

I saw this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1832848) but I don't have exactly the same problem as him so this is why I'm starting a new thread.

This a lot for your help and have a nice day.

Beans

Re: Black screen and blinking underscore on Ubuntu Installation.

Sorry, I did not present myself before asking this question... Can someone tell me where can I do this. Thanks.

Beans

Ok, I tried de CD's ont other computer that is not a MacBook and it's working perfectly... Some one has any idea about this problem ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Do you get the blinking underscore before or after the the grub menu screen? If it's after then then see:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754619
    2B||!2B=?
    -William Shakespeare

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClicker View Post
    Do you get the blinking underscore before or after the the grub menu screen? If it's after then then see:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754619
    Thks to help me DoubleClicker, I have the blinking underscore before all, so i didn't see the grub menu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Do you have the right version for your architecture?
    A 64 bit CD won't boot on a 32 bit machine, and an an x86 disk won't boot on a PPC.

If you've verified that you have the right disk for your architecture, and still have the problem, then it means the problem is that your CDRom drive can't read your LiveCD. Either you have a hardware problem with the drive, or the Disk is slightly damage, in a way that Your CDRom can't be read in your the disk, but other machines can.
    2B||!2B=?
    -William Shakespeare

Beans

Do you have the right version for your architecture?
    A 64 bit CD won't boot on a 32 bit machine, and an an x86 disk won't boot on a PPC.

If you've verified that you have the right disk for your architecture, and still have the problem, then it means the problem is that your CDRom drive can't read your LiveCD. Either you have a hardware problem with the drive, or the Disk is slightly damage, in a way that Your CDRom can't be read in your the disk, but other machines can.
    Thks for the advice It could be that but I have a C2D but with your advice, I tried somethings.

- Boot from the original Snow Leopard DVD => It's work
    - Boot from Ubuntu 10.04.3 or from old 10.04.1 i already burned in the past => Does not work
    - Tried with GParted Live CD => Does not work
    - Tried WinXP SP2 and Win7 boot CD's => Does not work at all...

So i thing that other OS'es, than Apple Mac OS X, does not like to boot from external DVD drive...

Other advice some one ? I don't want to spend an other 100$ for a Super Drive...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well I don't have any more advice to give about your DVD drive, but if you are just trying to find a way to install ubuntu I have a suggestion:

1. download the iso to your computer (or use the CD, if it will load in mac os x)

2. using disk utility create a small 800 MB partition, in the free space that you set aside for ubuntu. and format it as FAT.

3. use Disk utility to "restore" the iso/CD to the 600mb partition

4. Boot from the 800 MB Ubuntu "LiveCD" partition

5. install ubuntu just like you would from a LiveCD.

Sorry I didn't think about this earlier.
    2B||!2B=?
    -William Shakespeare

Beans

well I don't have any more advice to give about your DVD drive, but if you are just trying to find a way to install ubuntu I have a suggestion:

1. download the iso to your computer (or use the CD, if it will load in mac os x)

2. using disk utility create a small 800 MB partition, in the free space that you set aside for ubuntu. and format it as FAT.

3. use Disk utility to "restore" the iso/CD to the 600mb partition

4. Boot from the 800 MB Ubuntu "LiveCD" partition

5. install ubuntu just like you would from a LiveCD.

Sorry I didn't think about this earlier.
    Thks, I tried somethings else because the restore didn't work so :

1- I made a FAT32 volume on my HD
    2- I followed this tutorial (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...Files#Mac_OS_X) but replaced usb key for my new volume

This doesn't work.

Other things, I'll take a external enclosure that is only USB, maybe there are somme issues with enclosure that has firewire / usb chipset.

I'll come back with the tests this week hope this work.

Beans

So.. I tried with a USB Only external DVD drive and nothing more.... I'm disappointed... Someone can help me ?

On the Ubuntu Forums FR, an other member has the same problem. Hope someone will guide me on a good steps to solve this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast