Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black screen and blinking underscore on Ubuntu Installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Black screen and blinking underscore on Ubuntu Installation.

Quote Originally Posted by baloo101 View Post
    So.. I tried with a USB Only external DVD drive and nothing more.... I'm disappointed... Someone can help me ?

On the Ubuntu Forums FR, an other member has the same problem. Hope someone will guide me on a good steps to solve this

Hi baloo101.

This blank screen with the flashing underscore has been plaguing me recently and I'm trying to install Ubuntu on my 2008 MacBookPro 4,1. For a while I've always, always thought it's the disk at fault but after burning a dozen disks with all the versions available I've came to one conclusion... My drives faulty.

To prove this, I popped open my macbook and replaced the internal drive from another machine and guess what? Every single disk I've previous burnt booted, even those AMD64 only versions.

Weirdest discovery, the original slot-loading drive worked for reading and writing, even bootable with MacOS X Leopard, Snow Leopard and Window Ultimate... Just refuses to boot with any Linux installations
    Specs: Macbook(4,1), Dell 2408WFP, 2Gb Ram, Maverick & Natty

Beans

Re: Black screen and blinking underscore on Ubuntu Installation.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraNEO* View Post
    Hi baloo101.

This blank screen with the flashing underscore has been plaguing me recently and I'm trying to install Ubuntu on my 2008 MacBookPro 4,1. For a while I've always, always thought it's the disk at fault but after burning a dozen disks with all the versions available I've came to one conclusion... My drives faulty.

To prove this, I popped open my macbook and replaced the internal drive from another machine and guess what? Every single disk I've previous burnt booted, even those AMD64 only versions.

Weirdest discovery, the original slot-loading drive worked for reading and writing, even bootable with MacOS X Leopard, Snow Leopard and Window Ultimate... Just refuses to boot with any Linux installations
    Thks a lot UltraNEO. Yesterday I tried with a brand new dvd drive and then retried with both same enclosure and the problem remains.... Here at Ubuntu-FR, an ohter person has the same problem : http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=630541 but he has a MacBook Pro (he didn't say the version)

And for the slot loading drive, I already replace it and it broke just a few weeks after warranty end. I don't want to spend an other hundred box only to install Ubuntu.

Thks for everyone has help me. I'm hoping other will have suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12