Thread: Is Ubuntu for PowerPC PPC64 compatible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is Ubuntu for PowerPC PPC64 compatible?

Ok, I'm essentially asking if there is a 64-bit Ubuntu PowerPC (PPC64). If so is there a 64-bit java for PowerPC?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to run a Minecraft server off my Dual 2 GHz Power Mac G5 with 8 gigs of ram since it's a [self-censored] of a lot quieter than my Dell Poweredge 1850 which also has less ram. Since Apple has no 64-bit Java for PowerPC (aka 2 gigs ram accessable to Java) and Minecraft Server lags with that little ram.

Now, I'm looking into Ubuntu because it's the easiest PowerPC distro I've used for PowerPC.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Is Ubuntu for PowerPC PPC64 compatible?

Short answer: Yes & Yes

Long answer :
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.10/release/
    &
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1116368

They are both pretty self-explanatory. In other words the same CD can install ubuntu on the 32 G4) and the 64 (G5) PPC. It auto detects the hardware.
    In the other hand, it looks like a 64-bit Java on your G5 requires some work So good luck, and check with this thread to get help if needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks. I'll get back to you on whether or not this works. It did Apple no good to make a mac that supports 8 gigs of ram and has 64-bit processors if 1.) you can't boot Mac OS 64-bit mode and 2.) you can't have programs use more than 2 gigs of memory without Mac OS in 64-bit mode.

Beans

I have a dual-core 2GHz PowerMac with 9GB RAM running 11.04 very nicely.
    There is some sort of Java running - I use Eclipse for coding and that runs on Java.
    Registered Linux User #407403