Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

Beans

Re: Account Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Merisi View Post
    Thank you. Seeing the rationale behind it I can well understand. This is one on my way to fifty
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars11 View Post
    I guess I only need 4 more after this post. Thanks haqking!

No problem.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

I support this. Most spammers will just give up and look for an easier target, or will be very easy to find out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Merged one thread in.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by realzippy View Post
    Now new users open threads about not being able to....
    Maybe you should add:*

NewUserX, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    Your user account has less than 50 posts,*
    your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page,
    Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Done. As I said, this little piece of text was well hidden.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

Personally i very much understand spam fighting. Had to do it many times.

regardless, i think 50 posts is overkill. I have been a member here for years, do I always post.. no.

But when I do I put a lot of energy into them, I even answer my own neglected questions. I really felt like I put something in these forums, now I feel slighted.

Like it was already said, yada yada spam... new users feel... yada yada.

well i'm not new, not by a long shot! I feel put off, like I am in a lower caste, completely disvalued.

spam i get it, must do something, but 50 posts is just excessive. Not everybody who participates uses these forums for conversation. 50 posts for me, means 50 well thought out, articulate and concise, hopefully helpful posts. Posts that make people stop looking and have an answer. And once you are expert level (I work as Linux Systems Admin) those types of posts are time consuming.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

Also... If I have an amendment to something, I would just edit my previous post. Now that points are involved it would make more sense for me to add new posts. more posts, larger pages with the same level of content. Just wanted to make sure this angle was covered. I guess it would happen regardless of the minimum, but an unintended side-effect none the less.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TechZilla View Post
    Also... If I have an amendment to something, I would just edit my previous post. Now that points are involved it would make more sense for me to add new posts. more posts, larger pages with the same level of content. Just wanted to make sure this angle was covered. I guess it would happen regardless of the minimum, but an unintended side-effect none the less.

Beans are not important and just for fun.

from the forum faq

What's the deal with coffee cups/beans and the funny titles?
    Beans are posts. The post/bean count can be turned off by the user if so desired.
    There tends to be a close connection between geeks and coffee, so that's where the theme came from. Yes, we know not everyone likes coffee, but it's just a silly thing.
    The images, their colors, and the changing icons don't have any special meaning. They simply change as time goes by. You will see (among other things) green coffee beans, roasted (brown) coffee beans, various sorts of coffee cups and mugs and so on. Like the titles, nothing specific is implied by the presence of specific images or titles (in almost all cases that is...staff, admins and banned users are some of the exceptions). These items are for fun, and are not serious. They are not a rank of any kind. They don't tell anyone how long you've been here nor how many posts you've made. The sayings and the images are a semi-random feature we have to provide a little kick. There is some structure to it, but only on the implementation side. We did this on purpose - because it was fun and whimsical.
    There isn't a list of what you get, and when, because that's not the point. The reason for the secrecy was/is this: while we want to reward people who participate in these forums with titles and changing symbols we really don't want them to become some sort of gauge that people use to determine whether someone is speaking with more/less authority on a support topic. Other forums use the title/icon system that way and more power to them. However, there are people here with less than 20 posts who can code circles around much of the staff and are capable of giving amazing and useful responses to support questions...and there are some of us here with thousands of posts who might get lucky with a good and helpful reply on occasion. The fear is that people might use post count and titles/symbols as a means of judging the validity of a post's content rather than the content itself. We had a long discussion about this in the forums when they were first started and this subject has been revisited among the staff several times. Some forum members and staff wanted to eliminate the post count and title/icon system completely, some have gone the other way wanting a complete ranking system that is clear and gives honorific titles with great meaning to those with higher post counts (that particular group is in the extreme minority). The current system is a compromise that has been working pretty well for a while. With the compromise of meaningless titles/icons, post count can be hidden in UserCP. Anyway, this is why we don't publish how many posts are necessary for a change in title/icon...it's just a silly reward. The post numbers needed for title changes is something that is easy to modify so it gets modified on occasion, when the admins don't have better things occupying their time, merely to maintain the surprise factor. Bottom line: it just a trivial, whimsically amusing little thing. Don't read too much into it...it really isn't worth the slightest emotional involvement

besides you are only 5 away so make 5 more posts in a support capacity and you are there with nothing to worry about.

Like you said you dont post often, which means most people hardly see you so why do you need to modiy how your profile looks.

not long and you can, no biggie

Hope to see you with 50 very soon
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ TechZilla: Posts are involved.. Hmm, no more, no less than before, really. This is why we keep secret the user ranking system (how the icons under your username change with post count).

These are only internet forums. I know you get the yada yada about how we relate to our profile, you should not feel we set up different user groups based on how we value your participation.
    We need to have a limit that will discourage spammers, and allow to spot the bean hunters. Maybe 50 is not the adequate number. We talked a lot about it. A lot, for a long time. We'll see how it works out both with spammers and users.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

my account has been disabled

Hello,
    My account has been partially disabled. I cannot change avatar, check group messages, etc. I am not aware of disobeying the guidelines or posting controversial items. If I am, please reactivate my account and bring it to my attention.
    Thank you!
    Dell Inspiron 1318 | Intel Processor | Running a much hacked and patched windows vista and windows 7 in VirtualBox and dual-booting into ubuntu with Gnome and KDE installed on it. | Ubuntu wins!

Beans

Re: my account has been disabled

Please read this thread which should explain why you are restricted in your profile..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836816

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast