Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

Beans

Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

I made the posts in a thread I started after my original question was answered. I didn't think it would be a big deal. Apparently somebody else did.

Not editing my profile doesn't make it harder. I think the problem will be wading through extra search results because people will be making more posts.

I have only been playing with Linux about two years. I have an old PC that can't even run Compiz properly let alone Unity. I don't use a lot of common software that most people do. have no idea how to even set up wireless networking or Bluetooth. Do you really want people like me that don't necessarily know what the hell they are doing when it comes to Ubuntu answering questions?

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    By your own admission you made useless posts, how does that help in a support community ?

This method is working against spam so i am for it.

How does not editing your profile make it harder for you to find an answer ?

The ability to insert links in posts is important support feature, the ability to do it is prevented in less than 50 posts to help support the spam feature however.

Why not make some "useful" posts and actually help out and that way you wont be a newbie getting picked on then will you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rattskjelke View Post
    I made the posts in a thread I started after my original question was answered. I didn't think it would be a big deal. Apparently somebody else did.

Not editing my profile doesn't make it harder. I think the problem will be wading through extra search results because people will be making more posts.

I have only been playing with Linux about two years. I have an old PC that can't even run Compiz properly let alone Unity. I don't use a lot of common software that most people do. have no idea how to even set up wireless networking or Bluetooth. Do you really want people like me that don't necessarily know what the hell they are doing when it comes to Ubuntu answering questions?
    more posts are good though.

if they are useless or bean harvesting they get removed anyways.

It is good that people are encouraged to post more, and i am sure if you have been using Linux for 2 years then i am sure you can help with basic questions to a newcomer.

There are plenty of questions in Absolute beginners forum and General Help where i am sure you could help.

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rattskjelke View Post

Wouldn't making "useless" posts only serve to compound the problem of having a lot of things to read?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

I can understand not wanting to wade through a lot of spam. However, aren't you encouraging it? A user with less than 50 posts feels left out, so they start posting &^#) stupid messages like "Nice post, really helped me a lot!". Then when one uses Google trying to find the answer to a real question, one gets pages and pages of this &^%@ stuff.

So, I don't really care about my profile -- vanilla is fine. But when I try to follow links to threads in Ubuntu Forums, I get the plain screen or that message about 50 posts.

I'm left unsure whether the link I'm trying to follow is garbage or I'm being treated as a spammer.

For what it is worth, I am trying to solve an Ubuntu 11.10 issue (wireless is seriously broken in this release) and came across:

ubuntuforums/showthread.php?t=795100

IF it is a bad reference, then why not simply have showthread.php say so?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    more posts are good though.

if they are useless or bean harvesting they get removed anyways.

It is good that people are encouraged to post more, and i am sure if you have been using Linux for 2 years then i am sure you can help with basic questions to a newcomer.

There are plenty of questions in Absolute beginners forum and General Help where i am sure you could help.

Peace
    I disagree (or if you prefer, I agree with the original poster). Encouraging USEFUL posts and REAL questions is worthwhile. Reading through a lot of the posts, I would conclude that you may remove real spam and obvious attempts to boost the number of posts a person has made, but you still leave a LOT of posts of truly questionable value.

I suppose there is much too much activity to run a moderated forum (by which I mean NO post becomes visible until approved). I cannot stand posts that say, more or less, "I don't know anything about snarfle, but have you tried...?". Those *(*&$ posts then start showing up in Google searches, hiding the knowledgeable people who post really useful information.

Having got that off my chest, I'm now going to spend hours wading through these forums trying to find the answer to my problem with Ubuntu 11.10 and wireless (10.x got at the wireless network fine; in 11.10, not even the distribution CD gets at it!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by johngoold View Post
    For what it is worth, I am trying to solve an Ubuntu 11.10 issue (wireless is seriously broken in this release) and came across:

ubuntuforums/showthread.php?t=795100

IF it is a bad reference, then why not simply have showthread.php say so?
    I presume you meant to add the .org, as:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=795100
    I'm not sure what that has to do with wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by johngoold View Post
    ... I'm now going to spend hours wading through these forums trying to find the answer to my problem with Ubuntu 11.10 and wireless (10.x got at the wireless network fine; in 11.10, not even the distribution CD gets at it!).
    In the Advanced Search, try using the Search Titles Only option, and in "Search in Forums", select Absolute Beginner Talk and Main Support Categories (check "Also search in child forums"). Alternatively, Google your wireless model number and the word "linux". Both of those will significantly narrow down your results.

If neither works, start a new thread.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

@johngoold

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=795100

is nothing to do with wireless and a 3 year old thread
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Oh this is so annoying! Now the information in my profile is wrong, and I can't change it. How frustrating. I think this will make it take much longer for new members to feel like part of the community.

Or maybe we'll start posting silly things in the 'Other community discussions' forum...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by peperomia View Post
    Or maybe we'll start posting silly things in the 'Other community discussions' forum...
    If you post useless stuff, you could be mistaken for a spammer and get infracted or even banned.

Just keep that in mind.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thread closed as the discussion has for the most part run it's course.

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but it significantly cuts down on both the spam and staff time and the staff does not feel that asking for 50 support post is onerous.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233