Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

Beans

Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

Quote Originally Posted by CubicleInmate View Post
    You know, some people under this restriction might simply want to update their email address or password. It took me forever to remember my password and login finally. I can't use password recovery because I'm not even certain which email address it would go to, or if I used one on a domain I have since let lapse.

So there is a demonstrated "real need" for a user below 50 posts to be able to change their profile, even though it is rarely seen. As for the remainder of your post exhibiting an elitist attitude and assumption of value based on postcount... yea, hope I'm not a pain of a poster.
    I place no value on post count. And nothing elitist about it. Ive only been on this forum 4 months and ive seen more complaints from people about not having enough posts to change there profile than anything else apart from complaining about unity.

If people put in the same effort to contributions to actual support with it being a support forum as they do complaining in areas where no beans or posts are counted then they would have less to complain about.

Anyways i hope you get your profile sorted out and look forward to seeing you around the forums.

peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I found this thread trying to figure out why I can't change my settings. I haven't been active on here for a few years so my profile certainly needs updating. I can wait til I'm at 50 as it's not that big a deal. I'm normally not that long-winded so it may take a while

I recently registered for the forums over at xfce.org and they have a very interesting way of keeping out spammers. They make you enter the hash results from a very specific command line operation. A rather novel idea that's sure to keep out the spambots and people who don't actually use Linux. On the downside, it may inadvertently prevent novice computer users who will wonder what a command line is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by scottbomb View Post
    I recently registered for the forums over at xfce.org and they have a very interesting way of keeping out spammers. They make you enter the hash results from a very specific command line operation. A rather novel idea that's sure to keep out the spambots and people who don't actually use Linux. On the downside, it may inadvertently prevent novice computer users who will wonder what a command line is.
    Try the arch forums.

That would be a bit of a complicated CAPTCHA for a newbie, which is probably why it's not in use here.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by scottbomb View Post
    Nice idea - though it has to be said that there are threads in here about how many ears or hands or whatever it is that an average human has that is part of the signup process so I'd wonder about using hash results
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    Nice idea - though it has to be said that there are threads in here about how many ears or hands or whatever it is that an average human has that is part of the signup process so I'd wonder about using hash results
    The average number of ears a person has is 1.5...

Oh, where was I again? Oops...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

'ere 'ere
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans

While I do understand the reasons behind this, I still don't get why would you ever lock down forum options ( thread subscriptions, etc. ).
    How am I supposed to follow my favorite threads, replies and similar stuff, which isn't really related to spam or anything else of that kind ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Media View Post
    While I do understand the reasons behind this, I still don't get why would you ever lock down forum options ( thread subscriptions, etc. ).
    How am I supposed to follow my favorite threads, replies and similar stuff, which isn't really related to spam or anything else of that kind ?
    From what I understand it is an all-or-nothing setting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    11.10 isn't available as an option yet (except as Development). I'll check into getting it added - and change it for you.

Done - you're the first! Be aware that your home page and occupation got trimmed in the process. You can re-enter them after you reach 50 posts, but they come across as spammy...

Thanks for the hand

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CubicleInmate View Post
    You know, some people under this restriction might simply want to update their email address or password.
    email and passwords can be changed regardless of post count.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Media View Post
    Threads subscriptions can be changed regardless of post count.

I'm not sure why you both are having problems.

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast