Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 330

Thread: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

  1. #251
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Beans
    10,285
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by binary00mind View Post
    LOL...You must be a very fast Ubuntu Forums surfer. I spotted 1 post with the 0 minutes life span link, by the time I was ready to report it as as SPAM, the life span of this (obviously advertising post) increased to 1 minute and I was denied to reply and/or mark as an abuse/SPAM (lack of permission(s))
    link for reference
    I have no way of checking exactly, but I think you'll find that your permissions issue you mentioned there is due to the spam being removed so quickly by the forum staff, which happens from time to time

  2. #252
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    planet earth
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    I have no way of checking exactly, but I think you'll find that your permissions issue you mentioned there is due to the spam being removed so quickly by the forum staff, which happens from time to time
    Well in this case my hat goes down to the Forum Staff.
    Catching the offender in 1 minute or less it must be an all time record, unless you have a written script targeting new users posting useless links.

    I really was not aware that you have this kind of issue going on here, the spamming thing.
    Until I've seen that advertising post (OP in the new thread to be exact) that I mentioned in my previous post

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,950
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I expect some adjustments from spammers. Either they will post links in posts, which can be found easily or they will go posts hunting to get to the limit. 50 should be enough to allow finding them out without being too annoying to genuine users. Keep your eyes open.
    Speaking of which... I mod & admin several sites.

    When you start pushing back at spammers in the forums, they usually switch to spamming active members via PM - which is even harder to detect/fix. LoL!

    Have you made any provisions for this?!?!?

    Just curious...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Beans
    3,137
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Speaking of which... I mod & admin several sites.

    When you start pushing back at spammers in the forums, they usually switch to spamming active members via PM - which is even harder to detect/fix. LoL!

    Have you made any provisions for this?!?!?

    Just curious...
    PMs are turned off, until the 50 posts are reached, I believe.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

  5. #255
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    PMs are turned off, until the 50 posts are reached, I believe.
    I don't think that is the case at the moment, but I could be wrong.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Beans
    10,285
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    I don't think the PM's are turned off, but we can turn them off if required. Besides, the PM screen has the same that posts do, in the top right - so we get alerted about it fairly quickly

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Beans
    3,137
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    Oh, Thanks for clarifying.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

  8. #258
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    129

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    Why am I affected? I got the notice also, yet I have 106 beans and my last post was 2 weeks ago with log ons since then just to browse and read. Yet I no longer have access to the Beginners Forum?

    edit: And I never even HAD an avatar!

    edit #2: Now it's letting me into the Beginner forum where before it said I didn't have permission etc. Weird. So long as I can still get help, I'm willing to jump through any hoops you put out there! You guys have bailed me out many times! Thanks, good luck with the spammers (I hate spam/spammers!).
    Last edited by john wagner; October 9th, 2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clarifying

  9. #259
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Porirua, New Zealand
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by john wagner View Post
    Why am I affected? I got the notice also, yet I have 106 beans and my last post was 2 weeks ago with log ons since then just to browse and read. Yet I no longer have access to the Beginners Forum?

    edit: And I never even HAD an avatar!
    From what I can see as a regular staff member, your account seems to be in the correct user group to be able to update your details on the UserCp. If you are still having trouble, perhaps you can ask one of the admins to take a look via the Resolution Center.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

  10. #260
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    129

    Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    From what I can see as a regular staff member, your account seems to be in the correct user group to be able to update your details on the UserCp. If you are still having trouble, perhaps you can ask one of the admins to take a look via the Resolution Center.
    It seems to have just been a burp. I'm not having any trouble or warning messages right now, so... With luck it was just errant electrons.
    Thanks for checking for me though!

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •