Thread: Windows Live Mail on Ubuntu

Beans

Windows Live Mail on Ubuntu

Hi everyone,

1st post, so apologies for any mistakes..

I have just switched from Vista to Ubuntu. I can't stand Microsoft so don't intend to dual boot and so am trying to set everything up to have the same functionality as before.

I use multiple hotmail accounts which I have read about are all pop3 for email clients. Windows live mail apparently does something clever to access them and all the correct folders, which I haven't been able to replicate with evolution/thunderbird.

What I want is a mail client to:
    Open a hotmail account, sync emails in all folders shown in hotmail (webmail), i.e. inbox, outbox, sent items, drafts....
    Leave emails on the server, only deleting if I manually delete.
    Load all previous emails from all folders shown on the mail server.
    Do this for all multiple accounts, yet remain separated from each other.

Evolution and Thunderbird are failing in 1 or more of the above.

I have installed Wine, but not been able to get the windows live mail standalone installer to work, and not found instructions on the net.

So either I need a badass email client, or I need to run windows live mail. Can anyone out there help me please???

I am new to Ubuntu, confident I can follow terminal commands, however I'm still finding my way around linux. Now off to the beginner thread to find out some basics..

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Windows Live Mail on Ubuntu

What is Thunderbird failing to do?
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

Beans

According to the WineHQ application compatibility rating for Windows Live Mail -- you are out of luck. Garbage means it's not going to work -- no matter what you do:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=7436
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
    What is Thunderbird failing to do?
    Thunderbird does not seamlessly synchronize hotmail folders. Ie If i move a message to my "archive folder" it is moved both on the local client and on the webmail interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have not tried with Evolution with hotmail account, if someone has tried can he share his experience with evolution regarding hotmail accounts and its syncing.
    A stopped clock shows right time twice a day

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by be0562 View Post
    Hi everyone,

What I want is a mail client to:
    Open a hotmail account, sync emails in all folders shown in hotmail (webmail), i.e. inbox, outbox, sent items, drafts....
    Leave emails on the server, only deleting if I manually delete.
    Load all previous emails from all folders shown on the mail server.
    Do this for all multiple accounts, yet remain separated from each other.

Thanks
    Hello, I've done the Hotmail-Thunderbird thing, and I'm not experiencing any problems. Only my junk mail isn't synced, but I don't find it necessary.

First, when you added your Hotmail account to Thunderbird, visit Hotmail in your web browser. It will ask about "another programme accessing mail" or something simmilar. Or - you can find it later in clicking on your name - options - mail options. This gives you:

"POP and deleting downloaded messages

If you use POP to download Hotmail messages to another program, that program could make it so you can't read your messages on Hotmail. (For example, this might happen if you use Mac Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird).

a) Don't let another program delete messages from Hotmail. (If your other program is set to "delete messages from the server," we'll simply move them to a special POP folder. They won't be deleted.)
    b) Do what my other program says-if it says to delete messages, then delete them."

Sent messages, drafts, etc you configure in Thunderbird's options for the said account (Edit-Settings-Copies and Folders)
    On first run, Thunderbird automatically fetched all my mail in the inbox, and keeps fetching them even if I've already read it in the browser.

To be noted is that I'm running Thunderbird 6.0.1, not the one found in the Ubuntu Software Repository; don't know if it makes a difference.

Hope I helped a bit.

addition: Check your Thunderbird's Server settings (Edit-Settings-Server Settings) for mail downloads, deletion and leaving them on server.
    Last edited by sunfromhere; September 1st, 2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't think Hotmail support IMAP, this is a tactical decision to ensure that people with a Hotmail account who want to sync their e-mails have to use Windows Mail: The only mail application that will sync Pop Hotmail messages to the web.
    My recommendation: Switch to another e-mail provider that allows IMAP, i.e. Gmail, GMX, Mail.com, Yahoo, AOL ext.
    If you'd like to keep your Hotmail account you could set it up on Thunderbird with POP then create a message filter to copy (or move) all incoming messages to a folder on another account that does use IMAP: Yahoo for example. This way, you can access your messages on mail.yahoo.com even though you still maintain a Hotmail address.

Beans

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. It seems that I would have to set up filters for thunderbird, but then all my mail in hotmail would be in one pop folder. (If I was logging into my emails away from my laptop I would have to use hotmail, so wouldn't want this.)

I have found the options to remotely delete the messages and hotmail luckily realises when this is happening and gives you an option before deleting anything.

So it seems yet again, microsoft has managed to annoy me yet again. I will consider changing my email away from hotmail, but for now I am using webmail and have linked all the accounts, so I only need to type in one password to access all of them.

For now my questions are answered so I'll close the thread thanks once again.