Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 64 Bit random restarts!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Ubuntu 11.04 64 Bit random restarts!?

I have an acer extensa 5620 with Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit and it restarts randomly sometimes. I just got a new battery, but I remember weird restarts before I got it, so I don't think that is it. My cd drive does not seem to be recognized by Ubuntu either or it could be broken, not sure yet. When I type "eject" in the terminal it says it cannot recognize any cd drives. Any help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 64 Bit random restarts!?

About the cd drive: Do you have windows on it as well? I would try creating a cd for a different linux distro (just pick one, i suggest mint) and boot from the cd and see if it recognizes the drive.

About the random reboots: I had a similar problem once with a desktop and have heard about it many times. It reminded me of how sometimes in windows programs that are written poorly can sometimes just keep using ram and keeping using it until there is no more left and you get a blue screen. I didn't know if the same thing could happen in linux being as linux distros use ram very differently. But what i did was go through all my apps that I had downloaded from the software center (I had a lot) and remove the ones that I hadn't used in a while and i didn't need. And it hasn't happened since. So maybe thats a fix for ya.
    THE TRUTH HAS NO AGENDA...
    "There is no "Good" or "Evil", only Power and Weakness, and those who fail to see this."- The Dark Lord

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 64 Bit random restarts!?

I don't have windows on my computer, but I'll keep what you said in mind.