Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google+ is an identity service (pseudonym vs real name)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Google+ is an identity service (pseudonym vs real name)

↑↑↑ ...and links to Google Youtube on signature. FAIL ^‿^

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by juancarlospaco View Post
    ↑↑↑ ...and links to Google Youtube on signature. FAIL ^‿^
    You don't (yet) need to have a google account, or to allow google analytics to spy on you, to watch youtube. In fact, if you take the precautions I've listed above, you should be perfectly safe from google, even on their own sites.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

" Welcome to the Internet, everything non-encrypted is Public "

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    To socialize anonymously. Some people are paranoid, some just trying be cautious and some may have legit reason(s) to go incognito. Plus a lot of companies are looking at peoples social media pages these days and people who talk crap about their work or bosses have this tendency to lose their thier job or end up kissing their hours goodbye.
    You don't use a social network to socialize anonymously. There is many places for that. Social networking is about socializing with friends, family, meeting new people as yourself. What reasons are there to be paranoid? What are you paranoid about. I never understood that. It's the internet, don't post anything you don't want people seeing. That's all there is too it. I highly doubt people get fired over what they say about their bosses. The higher percent of people usually don't like their boss, simply put, because they are their boss. It's not an unknown thing. Besides, that goes with the same concept; don't post anything you don't want people seeing. Besides you need to actually accept those companies or people as friends for them to see your profile.

There is no legit reason to be anonymous in a social network. If you disagree please feel free to give me legit reasons.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by akand074 View Post
    You don't use a social network to socialize anonymously.
    Pseudonymity != anonymity.

There is many places for that. Social networking is about socializing with friends, family, meeting new people as yourself.
    I have many friends under nicknames or solely first names. I still trust them. And...?

Besides you need to actually accept those companies or people as friends for them to see your profile.
    Or someone who does have access can screenshot or paste your info outside of your restricted area, and you're just as owned.

If you disagree please feel free to give me legit reasons.
    Would you like a list? http://goo.gl/jAjue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tvierling View Post
    I have many friends under nicknames or solely first names. I still trust them. And...?
    If people use those names more commonly than their given names, then that makes sense to use them because more people are likely to understand who you are. Another thing about this; how are people you meet, or know supposed to find you if your name on your social network isn't any name they are aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by tvierling View Post
    Or someone who does have access can screenshot or paste your info outside of your restricted area, and you're just as owned.
    Okay, well then you obviously gave people that aren't to be trusted with privileges to your information. That is your fault for granting them access as well as posting information that you don't want public. People do things outside the world of the internet like that all the time. Should you go under fake name or a "pseudonym" everywhere all the time so that no one will ever know that any information you ever disclose anywhere for any reason came from you? Of course not. Don't disclose things you don't want people to know to people you don't trust, that's all there is to it.

harassment, both online and offline
    Again same argument here, this happens in real life too, are you to never interact with people as yourself because of this? And more importantly, don't accept people who you aren't friends with or trust, and there are always block and delete features against those people.

discrimination in employment, provision of services, etc.
    Silly... you shouldn't be friends with people who are going to discriminate against you.

• actual physical danger of bullying, hate crime, etc.
    • arrest, imprisonment, or execution in some jurisdictions
    • economic harm such as job loss, loss of professional reputation, reduction of job opportunity, etc.
    • social costs of not being able to interact with friends and colleagues
    • possible (temporary) loss of access to their data if their account is suspended or terminated
    To save time. All of them are stupid and have no merit. All of these issues have nothing but yourself to blame. And not because you put your real name. You're at fault for allowing people access to information you post who shouldn't have access, or posting information that shouldn't be posted. That's all there is to it. How can you be arrested/imprisoned if they don't have access to your information? If you're in some sort of jurisdiction which grants them access to your data somehow, then you shouldn't be posting anything you don't want people to see. Everything on the internet is just like the real world. A lot of those are very uncommon cases as well.

A legit reason is a reason that can not be solved by a) disallowing unwanted people access to your information, and b) not disclosing information you don't want made public. All of the reasons provided can be solved by those two.

I can say with pretty strong confidence, that any reason that can not be solved by those two has nothing to do with actual social networking but having an actual agenda and using the social network as means to an end. For example, a facebook account to advertise. In this case, you aren't actually using facebook for social networking as it's intended (interacting and sharing with friends and family) but you're using it to push your product to a wide audience. In this case, obviously you likely won't want people knowing it's you. And again, people can prevent from getting this advertisement by not accepting you without knowing who you are and trusting you with their information.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You don't use a social network to socialize anonymously. There is many places for that. Social networking is about socializing with friends, family, meeting new people as yourself. What reasons are there to be paranoid? What are you paranoid about. I never understood that. It's the internet, don't post anything you don't want people seeing. That's all there is too it. I highly doubt people get fired over what they say about their bosses. The higher percent of people usually don't like their boss, simply put, because they are their boss. It's not an unknown thing. Besides, that goes with the same concept; don't post anything you don't want people seeing. Besides you need to actually accept those companies or people as friends for them to see your profile.

There is no legit reason to be anonymous in a social network. If you disagree please feel free to give me legit reasons.
    Besides, that goes with the same concept; don't post anything you don't want people seeing.
    While normally true, but their are controversial topics you may wish to discuss that could cause issues for rl. Also being anonymous can allow you to make "friends" with other people and discuss controversial topics. The option of anonymity should still be available, there are things that can hurt you irl, what depends on where you are at. Teens for example who may of became atheists and live in a strict or crazy christian home would want to be able to socialize and discuss various topics that would cause trouble at home. Facebook is a large medium. It should still be available for those who need or want it.

Facebook for a while didn't have much in terms of filtering posts. Even at what it has its a pain in the nuts, they need it so that you can select for your friend list and prehaps have it to where you can select friend Groups.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; August 31st, 2011 at 06:13 AM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

To save time. All of them are stupid and have no merit. All of these issues have nothing but yourself to blame. And not because you put your real name. You're at fault for allowing people access to information you post who shouldn't have access, or posting information that shouldn't be posted.
    Riiiight. Because if a topic is sensitive, we shouldn't seek out others who sympathize with that topic; we should instead bury our heads in the sand and be alone.

Sounds awfully anti-"social" to me.

While we're at it, feel free to have a bunch of my personal information (as more examples of the type of info that could hurt people if attached to their real names). http://goo.gl/sJOIV

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It's a free service, you don't have to use it. The people who demand that kind of pseudonymity should probably go back to IRC; I have no doubt that's where they came from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Google has no way of knowing if your registered name is a pseudonym or not as long as it sounds like a "real" name, rather than Godzilla or something. Neither my Facebook or Google+ identities are the same as the name on my drivers licence, but I can't imagine how I'd have a problem from them about that...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast