Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Google+ is an identity service (pseudonym vs real name)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Google+ is an identity service (pseudonym vs real name)

https://plus.google.com/117378076401...ts/2y7vqXBtLny

I don't have a G+ account so I can't view the transcript.

Where do you stand on the pseudonym vs real name debate?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Google+ is an identity service (pseudonym vs real name)

1 make a fake google account and tell your friends etc to add you
    2 sign up for G+
    3 ????
    4 Profit

Problem Google ?
    What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Beans

This sort of "Real names make better discussion" thing is so ridiculous as to be laughable.

Ignoring the case FOR keeping aliases, "Real" names (What's real? Is your nickname a real name? What if you don't use your birth name????) are just as capable of being an ***.

Prime example:

Every twitter scandal story...ever.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Google+ is an identity service (pseudonym vs real name)

Quote Originally Posted by in·ter·punct View Post
    https://plus.google.com/117378076401...ts/2y7vqXBtLny

I don't have a G+ account so I can't view the transcript.
    You should be able to view it without an account, unless you're currently blocked(?). I can view it in a fresh Chrome incognito window, which by definition isn't signed in to anything.

I created a pretty comprehensive roundup of the positions on pseudonymity (versus G+) in more than 580 articles and blog posts here: http://l.duh.org/g+coverage

My position should be pretty clear from the various entries on that sheet bearing my name (Todd Vierling).

edit: btw, the original link is to a paraphrased summary. Here's the _full_ transcript: https://plus.google.com/117378076401...ts/CjM2MPKocQP

Beans

Why do people want fake screen names on Google+ when they've been using their real names on Facebook and MySpace for years?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by b2zeldafreak View Post
    Why do people want fake screen names on Google+ when they've been using their real names on Facebook and MySpace for years?
    I' gonna assume that the kind of people that don't want real names on G+ aren't the same that are using real names on Facebook.

As I recall, Myspace was fill of pseudonyms.
    Esos son mis 2 centavos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why would you use fake names on a social network? Defeats the purpose. I do however, understand the fact that people use nick names more commonly, and there's nothing stopping you from using them on Google+ unless it has a number or character that's illegal. That is a place I don't quite understand. Some people are known as "Name junior the second" or "Malcolm X" that would be rejected but those are real names. So they should really work on that. But the whole "alias" thing is just absurd.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by akand074 View Post
    Why would you use fake names on a social network? Defeats the purpose. I do however, understand the fact that people use nick names more commonly, and there's nothing stopping you from using them on Google+ unless it has a number or character that's illegal. That is a place I don't quite understand. Some people are known as "Name junior the second" or "Malcolm X" that would be rejected but those are real names. So they should really work on that. But the whole "alias" thing is just absurd.
    To socialize anonymously. Some people are paranoid, some just trying be cautious and some may have legit reason(s) to go incognito. Plus a lot of companies are looking at peoples social media pages these days and people who talk crap about their work or bosses have this tendency to lose their thier job or end up kissing their hours goodbye.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."
    Shakespeare

OR

"What's in a name? That which they get is your IP
    By any other name they still camp in front of your house."

Beans
    Hidden!

It's simple, really.

Refuse to use ANY and ALL asocial networks and their associated advertising/email/gaming services until they get it into their thick, corporate heads that their customers are their users, not the ad corps who abuse our personal information to make people waste money they don't have on stuff they don't need. If you want to appease your users, stop treating them like a product.

This whole "real names" debacle is downright ridiculous. Google is just plain obviously trying too hard to come up with an excuse for it other than the real thing - they want more personal information from their users, and that's all there is to it. And that's why they offer "pseudonym" as a secondary option to the compulsory "real name" - so they can identify a single person all over the internet, anything you do.

The only way to escape this tracking technology is to NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT, and block all google's "analytics" (spying) services in /etc/hosts, or through adblock or a similar program.

DISCLAIMER: I'm just using Google as an example here, the other big asocial networks are just as evil and should be avoided. I'm in no way singling out google to endorse any other antisocial networking site.
    Last edited by BeRoot ReBoot; August 31st, 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast