Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot run ubuntu from USB

Beans

Cannot run ubuntu from USB

Hi i am new to ubuntu and os installing stuff. I have windows XP installed on my PC. I am trying to test drive ubuntu from my pen drive to have a look around(for now).
    I downloaded ubuntu-11.04-alternate-i386.iso and made my 2GB usb stick bootable using unetbootin-win-549.exe and made a reboot. A window with menu appeared and it shows options such as
    Run Ubuntu from this USB
    Install
    Help

If i select the first option ie, "Run Ubuntu from this USB" a beep sound is heard and nothing happens.
    Also at the bottom of the screen there is a line
    "Automatic boot in 5 seconds"
    but the once the countdown reaches 0, it restarts counting down from 5 after a beep.
    then I tried 'help' option , there are a list of options and at the bottom it says press f2 through f10 for details, or enter to boot. If I press enter, it would show: "could not find kernal image:/casper/vmlinuz

I dont want to install it on my hard disk, and I just want to run it from USB, But I cant. Can anyone tell me what I should do?
    Last edited by SW6; August 30th, 2011 at 07:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot run ubuntu from USB

most probably your pc is not set to boot from the USB stick, switch the machine on, and choose whether its F9, or F2, or F10, whatever option the BIOS gives you, press it in order to go to setup, and change boot options, make the USB stick the firsts> press esc> save changes and exit, restart your pc and see if it boots.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Your computer does boot from USB, so there is no need for changing the BIOS settings.

How much memory does it have?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks alot for replies. I have 2Gb of RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When booting the USB stick shows a self-test option. How does that work?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by SW6 View Post
    Hi i am new to ubuntu and os installing stuff. I have windows XP installed on my PC. I am trying to test drive ubuntu from my pen drive to have a look around(for now).
    I downloaded ubuntu-11.04-alternate-i386.iso and made my 2GB usb stick bootable using unetbootin-win-549.exe and made a reboot. A window with menu appeared and it shows options such as
    Run Ubuntu from this USB
    Install
    Help
    Hi there. The "alternate" ISO does not allow you to run a Ubuntu desktop, it only allows you to install Ubuntu to a drive. So you probably want to write the "desktop" ISO to your USB stick.
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

Beans

Ok, if you are sure that the downloaded ISO will not work, I will try the desktop one, thank you. But are u sure that the other one will work fine? I dont want to waste another download of 700 mbs.
    Disappointed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Welcome to the forums
    Alternate installer details

The text-based alternate installer can be downloaded from a location near you. This installation CD is suited for computers unable to run the graphical desktop based installation, either because their computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the live cd or because their computer requires configuration after the installation is complete in order to use the desktop.

YesWeCan gives good advice, no need to question him.
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SW6 View Post
    Ok, if you are sure that the downloaded ISO will not work, I will try the desktop one, thank you. But are u sure that the other one will work fine? I dont want to waste another download of 700 mbs.
    Disappointed
    I'm sure the alternative won't run a live desktop. Hey, I just looked up the Ubuntu home page and I understand your frustration - it isn't crystal clear.

What I think you want to do is burn the "live" ISO to your USB stick and then boot it. Only the "desktop" version does both the "live" session and the installer. The "alternative" is the same size but drops the "live" to make space for extra installation features such as drivers and RAID and stuff.

There may be other things you need to do differently too, but you at least need the desktop ISO.

Have a read of this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunka-Matata View Post
    YesWeCan gives good advice, no need to question him.
    Thanks muchly for the vote of confidence! I try.

I am happy to be questioned, tho. Helps to stop me making too many screw ups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast