Thread: Getting a EEE 1215B: C-50 or E350?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Getting a EEE 1215B: C-50 or E350?

Backstory:
    I carry around 2 laptops with me all the time. My personal laptop and my work laptop. My personal laptop, up until now, has been an IBM T61. My work laptop is an HP Elitebook 8460p. Frankly, between the two of these and a book or two in my backpack, it feels like it's going to snap my spine in two. The solution, I decided was to upgrade to a lighter personal laptop. I wanted to get a MacBook Air but decided that the $999 minimum price tag was a bit out of my reach and I was going to run Ubuntu on it anyway so why bother with a Mac when I could just get a Netbook. I found the 1215B on newegg and saw that they have two different processors, the C-50 and the E350 (1Ghz and 1.6Ghz respectively). I decided I would get one of these and max out the memory to 4GB (since DDR3 is so cheap these days) and and grab a 120GB ssd to try to reduce the power consumption as much as I could and stretch out the battery life.

To The Point Already:
    My question is to any of the owners of these 1215B notebooks (or similar ones with the C-50 and E350 APUs). How has your experience with them been. Are you using the Unity desktop or does it require you to fall back to Gnome2/Unity-2D? How is your battery life? Does battery life take a significant hit when you're running Unity 3D?

Thanks a bunch in advance. I am really looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say. If the C-50 will run Unity 3D and those who have it are generally pleased with it I'll probably go that route. The models using it instead of the E350 are about $100-$150 less which means more can go into the SSD/RAM/etc.
    Last edited by kill4killin; August 30th, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
    If you don't like it, make your own

Beans
    Distro

Re: Getting a EEE 1215B: C-50 or E350?

Both are very good performers and excellent value for money, I have the 1015B with C50 which came pre-loaded with Windows 7 starter. The system would literally crawl which made me doubt my decision to purchase till I installed Natty, all problems as expected went away. Bear in mind, the combined APU in these do HD videos but only under Windows. In Linux the driver issue is yet to be solved, otherwise I love the performance with my C50, everyday work gets done as good as my i7 Extreme 16GB desktop running Lucid.

Beans
    Distro

How has battery life been for you? Are you able to run Unity as your desktop environment?
    If you don't like it, make your own

Beans

I don't run Ubuntu (Arch instead), but with the radio disabled, brightness at the lowest setting and the conservative cpufreq governor it reports a battery life of ~04:50 at 100%.

Note that this is the first charge, should that matter for the Li-ion battery.

I was actually wondering if Ubuntu users are seeing similar numbers, Windows appears to achieve ~6h with light use.

EDIT: I have a E350 1215B
    EDIT2: Seems I might be able to increase battery life by changing the 'Super Hybrid Engine' profile. Will report back on that later..
    Last edited by ius; August 30th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

My battery life varies but under normal usage with wireless on, I get around 6 hours which I am happy with. I know its less that what I would get with Windows 7 but then I can't deal with the sluggishness.

Beans
    Distro

It depends what you want to do with it. The C-50 is the most basic of Fusion chips. It is more akin to an Atom/Ion platform. The E-350 is more powerful and will be better at general tasks when compared to the C-50.

I have the 1215b with the E-350. It is no speed demon, but it is very capable and has the advantage of being able to play up to 1080p video clips. Unfortunately the Flash plugin for Linux doesn't currently have VAAPI acceleration so you will only be able to watch standard definition streaming clips.

I also upgraded the memory and put an SSD in. I get about 5 - 6 hours or so of battery life and the speed does make up for the lack of processor speed.

I run Unity and it runs very nicely. A word of caution, 11.04 is a little iffy with the hardware. I am running the 11.10 alpha/beta on mine and everything works nicely, including suspend.