Thread: Xbox 360 C# game programming on Ubuntu?

Beans

Xbox 360 C# game programming on Ubuntu?

I know one is supposed to download XNA Game Studio to program games for the Xbox 360, but I am pretty sure it does not work on Linux. My question is will MonoDevelop or some other C# IDE support porting your games to the xbox?

Thanks for reading.

Beans

Re: Xbox 360 C# game programming on Ubuntu?

MonoDevelop would be your best bet XNA is a framework for game development and XNA Game Studio is a addon for Visual Studios but i believe you can develop XNA games with Mono on Linux
    Last edited by CrimsonTurkey; August 31st, 2011 at 03:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you only need 2D support, then there's a library at https://github.com/mono/MonoGame which will allow you to write 2D XNA games with Mono on Ubuntu. Note: untested.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans

Ok thank you all for your replies. I will build a game and see if I can port it to my Xbox. If not I'll just bring it over to my Windows computer and then port it.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    If you only need 2D support, then there's a library at https://github.com/mono/MonoGame which will allow you to write 2D XNA games with Mono on Ubuntu. Note: untested.
    I think that's for Windows Phone 7 and not for the 360.

If you really want to program for the 360, you need to just bite the bullet and use the real XNA in Windows. You wouldn't use a chainsaw to mow your yard, and you shouldn't try to use Linux to develop for a Microsoft game console.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    If you really want to program for the 360, you need to just bite the bullet and use the real XNA in Windows. You wouldn't use a chainsaw to mow your yard, and you shouldn't try to use Linux to develop for a Microsoft game console.
    Absolutely right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I think that's for Windows Phone 7 and not for the 360.
    The selling point with XNA is it's the same thing - you just recompile the game for the target platform (Windows, WP7, 360)

You can do the majority development fine in Ubuntu, but the final submission needs to be done with Windows (much like iOS apps need to be built on a Mac)
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth