Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The gNatty Bunch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The gNatty Bunch

The Buell solution!!!

Ok, before I went to the store this afternoon I pulled out the fuse for the fan. It started a little hard, coughed & sputtered for a minute but the check engine light came on, indicating somthing isn't right, but it's on & stays on, doesn't drift in & out.

ECM switched itself into limp home mode & don't have the cooling so I won't be going far or letting it idle in the heat but it runs great, safely drivable for now. New fan is ordred and with luck I should have it by the weekend.

I'm ecstatic.

Beans

Great news ..... another successful outcome ..... we hope ....

Seems that the Engine Management Systems nowadays rely on all the sensors and
    everything to keep everything spot on ..... was watching some videos today on You Tube
    of people with their Buells and adding new units and exhausts etc .....

Look to be nice bikes ...... do not go mess it up ..... riding it with no fan .....

Will need some cooling ..... especially if its cooling the rear cylinder ....

Hope the new fan sorts it ...... too .....

Interesting read too .... (says the fan actually is for cooling the Fuel Injection unit - dont think so ) ,,,, sounds odd ...

I would expect .... it to be cooling something that gets hot ... like the cylinder with a piston
    shooting up and down inside it making it hot .... but maybe its transferred heat its trying to reduce
    who knows ......

Old thread
    http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/a.../t-122907.html

This is more recent ..... interesting though ..... ( this sounds more reasonable too ..... )
    http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...sses-XB12x/Fan
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; August 31st, 2011 at 01:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah, on the XB the frame is massive, but it's aluminum and also holds the fuel & the rear cylinder is pretty confined. I think the fan does double duty back there, to help evacuate the heat from the cylinder & head as well as keep the fuel system cooled down. I just know that's what has caused me the recent problems & will glad to get it fixed. I'd planned to replace the fan soon anyway, just didn't know what effects it would have on it's last legs. Now I know, and with temps around 35C every day I can't do without it.

Thanks for being a sounding board and helping me organize a systematic thought process to troubleshoot it.

It's really been weighing heavy on me the last couple days.

Beans

Yep sort of thing that nags the mind when a motor is not working properly ......

We can get back into some serious computing then once its fixed .....

Almost got my networking sorted now .... samba and now webmin is the latest addition .....

Ubuntu has some neat tools for Samba ......

ok not tired yet .... so may see if webmin works ok now .... across systems

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456