Thread: nethack and falconseye help..

Beans

nethack and falconseye help..

Nethack:
    Is there any way to change the keys for nethack? The default ones really suck.
    Also how do you look in boxes or chests that are on the ground?
    Lastly several times I've played it to a point where there are no more doors or stair and the only choice is to leave the game.. I'm sure I must be missing stuff... I have never found anything like a Amulet...

FalconsEye :
    When I start this all I get is the character creation screen.. when I've created my Character it then goes to a black screen.. and thats it.. any ideas what is wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: nethack and falconseye help..

http://www.nethack.org/v342/Guidebook.html
    I found the guidebook to be a great help when installing/using/configuring nethack.
    The nethack problem may be graphics libraries... not too sure, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by senectus
    Nethack:
    Is there any way to change the keys for nethack? The default ones really suck.
    Also how do you look in boxes or chests that are on the ground?
    Lastly several times I've played it to a point where there are no more doors or stair and the only choice is to leave the game.. I'm sure I must be missing stuff... I have never found anything like a Amulet...

FalconsEye :
    When I start this all I get is the character creation screen.. when I've created my Character it then goes to a black screen.. and thats it.. any ideas what is wrong?
    boxes and chests are looted by standing on them and pressing the 'l' ('loot') key. you can unlock locked boxed by (for example): 'k'icking them, 'alt-f'orcing them open, unlocking them with a key, lockpick or credit card (if you are James Bond).

you should find lots of amulets, among them one 'Amulet Of Yendor' and loads of cheap plastic immitations of the same.

if you think you cannot go further, without spoiling too much: have you been at the bottom of the mines? winning sokoban? solving your Quest? seeing Medusa (hopefully not)? visiting the castle and Fort Ludos? shaking a stick at Vlad?

if you did all this and more and are on a level with unimpregnable ground then you need further, more specific advice, but if you can still dig you are not trying hard enough...

kind regards,
    Carsten

Beans

Ok I've figured out the digging (is that an Archeologist thing or can others do it too?)
    and I figured out looting (#loot I'm playing on a laptop so the keys are different?).

Can I sell stuff that I pick up?
    I've only ever gotten as far as the 5th level so none of that stuff has turned up yet..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

FalconsEye :
    Open the file jtp_opts.txt (should be in /etc/FalconsEye) and turn off sound and music. (Either comment out the lines, or change the values to 0.)

This should fix your problem.
    -Long time Apple fan (c. 1985)
    -Less time hating ******* (c. 1998 )
    -Linux noob (#380759), and loving it. (2004)
    My Myspace

Beans

Had to do more to fix mine ...

I had to comment out the Midi and MP3 player definitions.
    Then it worked well.
    Thanks for the help!!

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Ok I've figured out the digging (is that an Archeologist thing or can others do it too?)
    Yes, if you have a wand of digging.

Can I sell stuff that I pick up?
    Yes, if you find a store that is willing to buy it; either a general store, or a store that deals with what you are trying to sell.

One fun thing about nethack is how many ways there are to die, some of the interesting ways I've died include:
    * brainlessness
    * falling down the stairs
    * hitting his head on a sink
    * bumping in to a wall

but telling you how they're caused would be spoiling.