Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two-way synchronisation

Beans

Two-way synchronisation

I've been looking at trying to synchronise various folders between my laptop and netbook over wifi. I suspect I can use rsync for this, but I'm not quite sure how.

I've seen two guides which seem to have fairly straightforward instructions for doing backups:

http://a1979shakedown.wordpress.com/...ween-machines/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/rsync

But these appear to be unidirectional, however, what I want is to reflect changes in both directions. That means that when I do backups, I need to keep only the newest version of each file. Also I suspect deleting files could be problematic. Is this possible with rsync?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Two-way synchronisation

I read that rsync is not able to synchronize between two computers who are visible to each other via a network. I am trying to backup folders from a laptop running Windows to my desktop which runs Ubuntu. I would very much like to hear a solution for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by andypi View Post
    But these appear to be unidirectional...
    That's correct. In order to sync you would need to execute two rsync commandas:

To get the lastest changes from the server:
    Code:
    $ rsync -av -e ssh server:/path/to/dir/ /local/path/
    And this to push your changes to the server:
    Code:
    $ rsync -av -e ssh /local/path/ server:/path/to/dir/
    If you want exact copies also add the option --delete to erase files in the destination that are not in the source.

BTW, you would need to install OpenSSH in at least one machine (here's is called server).

Hope it helps,
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been looking at trying to synchronise various folders between my laptop and netbook over wifi. I suspect I can use rsync for this, but I'm not quite sure how.
    Install and use the unison package, it uses rsync in the backend but simplifies things with a GUI interface.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    That's correct. In order to sync you would need to execute two rsync commandas:

To get the lastest changes from the server:
    Code:
    $ rsync -av -e ssh server:/path/to/dir/ /local/path/
    And this to push your changes to the server:
    Code:
    $ rsync -av -e ssh /local/path/ server:/path/to/dir/
    If you want exact copies also add the option --delete to erase files in the destination that are not in the source.
    Thanks. Would this not have the problem that if I do a sync from machine A to machine B, if a newer version of file x exists on machine B, then that would be overwritten by the old version on machine A? In addition, if I've erased a file from machine B, would it not then be replaced with the version on machine A, even though I wanted it to be permanently deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Install and use the unison package, it uses rsync in the backend but simplifies things with a GUI interface.
    Thanks, this may do the trick. Just a couple of questions:

1) Can this be scheduled do automatically sync e.g. every night?
    2) Is there any way of running this which does not require me to know the IP address of each machine? If IP addresses are dynamically allocated, or the computers are connected to a new network, is there any way they can be configured such that they'll still be able to find each other?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks. Would this not have the problem that if I do a sync from machine A to machine B, if a newer version of file x exists on machine B, then that would be overwritten by the old version on machine A?
    As I wrote the example, yes. But there's more options available. For example this would take care of that concern (running from A):
    Code:
    rsync -av --update /local/path/ B:/path/to/dir/
    In addition, if I've erased a file from machine B, would it not then be replaced with the version on machine A, even though I wanted it to be permanently deleted?
    Using the option --delete would help, but not solve that problem. That is a downfall of rsync, you would have to change the order of the commands to achieve the desired behavior. In other words, after changes, you would have to manually sync first in the correct direction.

For a perfect sync between to working environments, Unison is a much better solution.

Hope it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

2) Is there any way of running this which does not require me to know the IP address of each machine? If IP addresses are dynamically allocated, or the computers are connected to a new network, is there any way they can be configured such that they'll still be able to find each other?
    1. Unison has command line functionality, so it should be possible to run it from a cron job.
    2. Finding things with Dynamic IP addresses requires a DNS server to resolve such issues.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

or, just use dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/

It's not suitable for *every* situation but it is, for the most part, idiot proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unison does not have a built-in scheduler. If you want a tool with a scheduler you could investigate luckyBackup.

Beans

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unison works a treat. I just need to set up sshkeys (I think) so it can all be done without me knowing about it and I'll be happy.

This naive question was because I didn't realise I could simply use the hostname to contact a computer on the LAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne_V View Post
    or, just use dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/

It's not suitable for *every* situation but it is, for the most part, idiot proof.
    I already use dropbox, and it is very useful, but I don't want to/can't use it for everything.

Oh and one more thing... there isn't by any chance a project to get Unison running on Android is there? I couldn't find anything. That would be ideal.

Edit: Or is it possible to use Unison when only one of the sync'd computers has Unison installed? I have installed QuickSSHd on my Android phone, which is allowing me to access the SD card from my Ubuntu laptop (but only using ports from 1025 and up), however when I try to run a Unison profile to it, it fails...

Edit2: Hooray! It is very possible to mount the SD card of my (unrooted) phone using sshfs, as long as the SSH server is running on the phone. I can then use Unison to keep everything the way I want it.
    Last edited by andypi; September 1st, 2011 at 02:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast