Thread: How To Upgrade a Library

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

How Do I Upgrade a Library?

What is the syntax for upgrading a specific library. Library "libdbus-glib-1-2 is already installed as ver 0.80; it must go to 0.82 or higher (0.88 is available) I entered the following:

sudo aptitude install libdbus-glib-1-2

Everything looks good as the lines read in, until the line "No pkgs will be installed, upgraded or removed".

mark bower
    Last edited by mark bower; August 28th, 2011 at 01:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: How To Upgrade a Library

What version of Ubuntu ? The current version of that package for 11.04 is libdbus-glib-1-2 0.92
    You may find what you need at the link.http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-10.10/ubuntu-..._i386.deb.html
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; August 28th, 2011 at 02:03 AM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

i am using 10.10

i downloaded libdbus-glib-1-2_0.88-2_i386.deb (did not realize that libraries were updated via .debs) and now yet another library is requested. did it, but then would not install because another library was requested. so allow me to restate the problem.

to see a floppy 1.44 inserted before boot, on one of my computers, i simply entered the command "udisks -mount/dev/fd0" in a desktop launcher. it works like a charm. and unmount when done. there was no fussing with any libraries.

so i intended to repeat on another computer, 10.10 and same m/b, and i get messages which indicate dependencies and seems i have to get to the bottom of the heap (dependencies), then work my way back up installing one .deb after another - and i am getting in a little over my head.

it all started after installing "udisks_1.0.1-1build1_i386.deb"

so is there a way to install the udisks . . library above and have it pull in all of the libraries it is dependent upon?

or, when i go to Syn Pkg Mgr, set to "ALL", and enter "udisks_1.0.1-1build1_i386.deb", a search does not show the file? am i doing something wrong here? it is my understanding that Syn Pkg Mgr should pull in all the dependencies, am i correct?

mark bower
    Last edited by mark bower; August 28th, 2011 at 11:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

open synaptic manager
    in search box , type the library what you're looking . if its have upgrade then it gonna show you
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

first of all you should only DL the libraries that are supplied to you. As in when you install a package, just do as the installer says. I know sometimes it seems necessary to update and install certain things but really, Ubuntu will do it all for you. You don't really need to install any more libraries.
    Last edited by lisati; August 29th, 2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: normalize font

Beans
    Distro

thanks for replies, but maybe i am still not clear enough.

on one machine, i set up a floppy launcher which uses "udisks". i did nothing else. with synaptic, i can see that "udisks_1.0.1-1build1_i386.deb is installed.

so, when trying to establish the launcher on another machine, i received an error msg. using synaptic, i saw that the udisks library was not present. so i assumed i merely had to install it and then could create the launcher. but as i attempted to install it, it indicated that another library was absent. and this continues with a given library wanting some other library before the given library will install.

if i enter the udisks library in the search box in Syn Pkg Mgr, it does not discover the library. what i thot would happen from previous experience is that after making the udisks entry in synaptic, that it would be discovered along with dependencies and then all would be installed; not the case.

and again, as far as i know, i installed 10.10 on both machines the same way.

hopefully this better explains what i am trying to do and how to resolve the problem.

as a work around, i believe i can do the following which works at least on the machine where the launcher already conveniently does the job:

sudo mkdir /floppy
    sudo mount /dev/fd0 /floppy -vfat

mark bower

Beans
    Distro

o.k., things did not work out for me on this post. i will not return to it and consider it dead.